Welcome to our world of Locks and Locksmiths (click logo or scroll down to view all):-
 www.Antique-Locks.com 
  
HoL
   COLTi
Or are you looking for modern, or recent past,
Keys, Locks or Safes.
keys, locks & safes
Industrial Archaeology of Locks HoL Museum
COLTi
  
Please support our forum sponsors where you can.
Researching locks from antiquity to the recent past.Maintaining a reference collection & archive.Today's scene and cutting edge developments.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    1
    Country: United States

    Default Hello from Greg! Seeking info on 3 locks.

    Hello my name is Greg. I'm really excited about these 3 locks I just acquired. If anyone has information about them I'd greatly appreciate it. Point of interest: lock marked banklock 555 cannot be opened unless you push a spring loaded rivet to make it function. Also, how can I obtain a key for the brass lock marked mastodon? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180319_114314.jpg   20180319_114539.jpg   20180319_114819.jpg   20180319_115050.jpg  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    538
    Country: United States

    Default Mastodon Padlock

    Mastodon Padlock make from Eagle company. Use a double bit barrel key. Need to find a good old locksmith that can fit a key for it. Other two padlock have known idea.....Timothy......

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tonawanda, NY, USA
    Posts
    750
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Mastodon Padlock make from Eagle company. Use a double bit barrel key. Need to find a good old locksmith that can fit a key for it. Other two padlock have known idea.....Timothy......
    If you are adventurous, Chapter 7 of The Extreme Antique Padlock Collector, 4th edition by Lauren Arndt who is a member here; describes fitting a key to eight lever double bitted padlocks like Mastodon. Information on sourcing the book at the link: http://www.blurb.com/b/6565733-the-e...lock-collector

    Pete Schifferli

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    Country: United States

    Default Mastodon Brass Eight Lever Padlock

    I recently got this Brass Mastodon Eight Lever on ebay with no keys locked. I have never seen a brass one so had to grab it. Got it for $22.50 I couldn't believe it, nobody bid against me. Got it open made 2 keys for it works perfect. I also have a regular steel Mastodon Eight Lever I made keys for too but this brass one rocks.



    Richard
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mastodon Brass Eight Lever 01.jpg  

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    Country: United States

    Default Greg! Seeking info on 3 locks

    Quote Originally Posted by lionsrose View Post
    Hello my name is Greg. I'm really excited about these 3 locks I just acquired. If anyone has information about them I'd greatly appreciate it. Point of interest: lock marked banklock 555 cannot be opened unless you push a spring loaded rivet to make it function. Also, how can I obtain a key for the brass lock marked mastodon? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Greg

    The first lock I have never seen before reminds me of old smokehouse lock. The key looks to have a real looking head and shaft but the bit is very complex. Looks very delicate be careful with it.

    The Eagle Brass Mastodon is your best lock as far as I can tell looks very good. I was able to make keys for mine as I am a good old locksmith. Getting blanks for it can be difficult that have large enough hole in them. I was lucky and ordered 20 vintage blanks when I seen them available but still had to enlarge and deepen the hole a little. Strange because they fit the steel Mastodon perfect but the brass one the pin is a little larger and longer.

    The one that says Bank Lock 555 I am a little suspicious of. The key looks to have simple looking cuts and looks a bit crudely made. I have seen many of those type that say "Bank Lock" on them on ebay and all of them are made in India that I have seen. They say 6 lever some say 10 but usually have no levers in them at all. Some insist they are not reproductions others admit it is.

    Yours may be real but could be a reproduction. If you find a different key that fits in it and it also pulls the bolt back and unlocks it and any key you try does the same it has no levers in it and likely is a reproduction. That spring loaded rivet you speak of I have never seen that before.

    Richard






  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lionsrose View Post
    Hello my name is Greg. I'm really excited about these 3 locks I just acquired. If anyone has information about them I'd greatly appreciate it. Point of interest: lock marked banklock 555 cannot be opened unless you push a spring loaded rivet to make it function. Also, how can I obtain a key for the brass lock marked mastodon? Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Others have addressed the Mastodon and the no-name. The lock marked Bank Lock is a standard trick lock made in Alagarh(sp) India for at least the last 40 years. The trick is most effective if you hold the rivet in while turning the key as holding it in after turning the key will allow someone to hear the loud click of the trick being activated. I bought mine around 35 years ago.
    BBE.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    Country: United States

    Default Bank Lock

    Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    Others have addressed the Mastodon and the no-name. The lock marked Bank Lock is a standard trick lock made in Alagarh(sp) India for at least the last 40 years. The trick is most effective if you hold the rivet in while turning the key as holding it in after turning the key will allow someone to hear the loud click of the trick being activated. I bought mine around 35 years ago.
    BBE.
    Why does it look like all but 2 large rivet heads have been removed and then re-staked whats left with a punch as you can see what looks like the large outline of the big rivet heads indented on the face of this lock? Does yours look like that or has this one been taken apart and re-staked for some reason. Can you show me a link to one of these trick locks someplace? I see India made Bank Locks listed but they are not this one yet shape looks the same.

    Richard

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrWizard View Post
    Why does it look like all but 2 large rivet heads have been removed and then re-staked whats left with a punch as you can see what looks like the large outline of the big rivet heads indented on the face of this lock? Does yours look like that or has this one been taken apart and re-staked for some reason. Can you show me a link to one of these trick locks someplace? I see India made Bank Locks listed but they are not this one yet shape looks the same.

    Richard
    The attached pictures are of my version of this lock.
    BBE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0592.JPG   IMG_0593.JPG  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •