Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

How can paint be stripped? Solvent? Sand blasting?

Default Paint removal

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    How can paint be stripped? Solvent? Sand blasting?
    Several ways, but at home probably two that work. Paint stripper, but not the tame version the HSE in the UK has left us with.
    For old types of paint especially the kinds found on vintage machinery and indeed safes, it is oil based and usually of a lead base too. This makes it toxic to humans.
    So a stripper containing Dychloromethane Methanol are substances used in commercial strippers and now banned at DIY centres. But it works, again though it is dangerous stuff to the uninitiated. I used this internally on the safe. Externally an angle grinder with a selection of brutal wire wheels, but dealing with rust and old paint it works very well. However in both cases you need to protect yourself from fumes and dust as well as bits and pieces that fly off, like wire wheel fragments.
    Of course the old method of simple hard work with scrapers is viable too, on metal it isn't difficult, just physical. On wood best left to another method, perhaps a hot air gun and scrapers.
    Commercially bead blasting is not as intrusive or damaging as sand blasting and in some cases a dip in a caustic mix is an option.
    Much depends on what you are dealing with, but lead paint is something that must be taken seriously or possibly face dementia in later life. In all cases protecting yourself is vital.
    Steve.

A strongly basic stripper, such as nitromorse or polystripper.

Default I am Afraid not

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    A strongly basic stripper, such as nitromorse or polystripper.
    Nitromorse was without doubt the best paint stripper, and a coat of that and the paint ran away screaming. But not anymore Chubby, it has been down graded by the HSE and you will find it no longer works on the kind of paints we have to deal with in the restoration business.

Polystripper I do not know by name, but I do know that all DIY products in the UK have suffered the same fate or restrictions. Most likely based on the number of hospital cases in A&E

I have been in the restoration game for more years than I care to remember and I had to send away for the stripper I am using, even then you need a business card to buy it.

Steve.

Thanks!

Sorry for misleading! I haven't been in UK for decades. I am obviously horribly out of date.

Couldn't you make your own with a powerful base such as sodium hydroxide?

Default No worries there my friend

Sorry for misleading! I haven't been in UK for decades. I am obviously horribly out of date.

Couldn't you make your own with a powerful base such as sodium hydroxide?
    Obviously my comments have to be based on my own country. Sadly the days when I could order chemicals from my local pharmacy have long gone. Perhaps too acid attacks have created a situation where our government has thought it sensible to restrict various things from the public. The problem faced today in the UK is actually getting ingredients to make anything. A good many of which are harmless on their own, but with another harmless one become volatile, explosive, or simply incendiary.
    I do have issues with the Nanny state, because it doesn't matter what laws they pass, only the law abiding abide by them. Something they seem not to be aware of with the recent knife laws here.
    But your point on Nitromors interests me, I see you are in Bulgaria, and I wonder if the original version is available there. It is staggering to say this but I was using that stuff fifty years ago, and there never was a better one. But visit our shops today and even spirit based paints are vanishing from the shelves, again something I send away for as I use a brushing enamel on this type of project.
    Steve.

This is going off topic a bit! Can't you buy a can of caustic soda from an ironmonger or similar shop?

What are the new knife laws?

Default A bit of a side step yes

This is going off topic a bit! Can't you buy a can of caustic soda from an ironmonger or similar shop?

What are the new knife laws?
    Most old ironmongers have gone here due to the sheds, or for the benefit of other nationalities the DIY stores and they don't sell this type of product. Although simple things like drain cleaners that contain various chemicals from caustic to sulphuric are available.
    I am fortunate that there is a magnificent old fashioned ironmongers 'Castles' in Christchurch my local town.

However I would state that caustic is very effective, but usually used with water and that is an issue when you are dealing with old castings that may have pockets, or in the case of a safe places where it will penetrate and not be accessible to neutralising. The last thing I would want near my safe is water or anything containing it. Oh and the modern Nitromors is water soluble despite not working, or in my old ways it doesn't do what is says on the tin.

Knife laws, the days of having a sheath knife are now illegal, even a pocket knife will raise questions from the police and that has to have a blade not exceeding three inches. Anything else and you are in trouble - if caught.

Default Lock box finished

The lock box is now finished and will have to sit and wait for the safe body.
    As a matter of interest and thank you to all concerned I replaced the concoction of sawdust and alum crystals as they were. The only change I made was to seal the box internally from the screw holes that penetrated it, this was how the bolt work previously got contaminated when the lock was removed for new keys etc.

The colour is old English cream a brushing enamel as supplied by Bailey Paints, who I thoroughly recommend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23 Lock box done 01.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	422.1 KB 
ID:	19862

Name:	24 Lock box done 02.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	546.6 KB 
ID:	19863

Name:	25 Lock box done 03.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	19864

This thread will now await completion of the painting of the body, so although this could take a while, I as someone once said will be back. But I will of course respond to any comments or questions in the meantime.

I would add one last thing, I do have a couple of spare transfers as shown here, and if anyone has a Whitfield safe or a good reason for wanting one let me know.
    Steve.

Thread Information