A while ago I finally tracked down a safe I was interested in. Not that I am a collector, more an engineer and restorer with a passion for older equipment that was made rather nicely.
In this case a safe was on my list for myself. It appears to be a very rare survivor, probably from 1890 or there abouts, as it is a banded safe, but the bands are dovetailed and closed by riveting, rather than later versions where the banding was preformed or pressed.
It is my intention to restore this safe to its original condition, not like so many with the emblem of a bottle of scotch or some such. Fortunately enough of the paint remains to be able to achieve this.
I am getting close now to the point where most mechanical work is complete, bar the bolt work which needs a clean up.

So I thought I would add some photos that might interest people here. I have already made a key for the drawer which like so many had gone missing in the distant past, not that it was easy as they riveted the lock in place which created issues.

First a couple of photos of the beastie:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01 door face.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	624.9 KB 
ID:	19671
Although not viewable there is enough paint and pinstripes left to recreate the original finish.

Name:	02 door inside.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	665.2 KB 
ID:	19672
Internal of door, eight throw bolts. The transfer I have photo'd and restored is currently being recreated as a transparency.

Name:	03 safe internals.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	580.6 KB 
ID:	19673
Just a view of the internal space.

So the main lock and a key to suit, well a paper label states new keys were made in 1995, however they were obviously off the shelf and too slim, so not an ideal fit, and also they were not of a quality I found suitable either.
More to follow, this is my first post, so lets see if it works.