Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Default Rust prep

As we went a bit off topic I thought one last photo prior to coach painting the body.
    So finally it is rust treated inside and out, still upside down so the top is another story.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26 Body rust treated.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	369.9 KB 
ID:	19880
    I am hoping to go away for a break, so don't expect it to be suddenly finished.

Default The finished article

Well its been a while, but as promised the safe is finally finished. Coach painting something this heavy only adds to the normal amount of time it takes, and of course I had to wait for the right person to do the sign writing.

Name:	Finished 01.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	629.6 KB 
ID:	20252

So that is the door and frame as it was in the 1880's and it looks fabulous, I truly am chuffed with the result. I commissioned a local sign writer Stephen Blackwell and I would hearilty recommend him to anyone needing a quality craftsman.

https://signsandpainting.co.uk/

The safe is currently still on the cradle I made for it. After much deliberation I decided to make a decent one with period wheels as moving this is a trial, but that is something beyond the scope of this article.

Name:	Finished 02.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	368.2 KB 
ID:	20253

So there we are it is done, yes at long last, and I wont be doing another one.

All the best, Steve.

Default Well done Steve.

Congratulations.

I can only repeat what I said before ;
    "you've done the safe proud".

I can very well imagine, that that safe looked exactly like this when new. This is how IMHO a full restoration should be done. Great!

Default Not much to say

Thank you both for your kind words and yes this is exactly how it looked in the 1880's. So many get a coat of household paint or a motive of whiskey, but getting soemthing back to original is to my mind the ideal.

The only problem now is I cant stop looking at it, it is like eye candy to me and worth all the hours I put in.

I keep looking for information on this one, but nothing new has come my way. There are plenty of Whitfield safes out there, but none with this type of bolt work, so I am guessing this was a top of the range order at the time, or maybe special only. I have seen an advert for 1905 that showed this type but with formed steel bandings, so it must have been available in various guises for some years.

If anyone ever sees another I would like to hear about it.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    Hi all, has anyone got any idea what this Cotterill part is from? It says Edwin Cotterill patent paragon spring I think.
    This ended up being repurposed as a key fob for my Cotterills acme safe key. I couldn’t really find any other use for it as there were several parts missing. I now love it !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C093478C-B668-496F-B06F-3B4143F0B4F4.jpeg   image.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Steve, Fantastic job on the Whitfield, superb inside and out. Love the boltwork and the studs/nuts. Not sure about you never doing another though....I bet you've already been looking around for one!

Warren, thats a great set you've got there and that repurposed brass fob looks great.

[QUOTE=Huw Eastwood;29951]Steve, Fantastic job on the Whitfield, superb inside and out. Love the boltwork and the studs/nuts. Not sure about you never doing another though....I bet you've already been looking around for one!

Hi Huw,

Thank you for such a great compliment. Just spent my pocket money on some oak to make a cradle for it, I have some antique iron castors. You might wonder, but I didnt want to confuse the issue this safe like all our English ones was never fitted with wheels, so I didnt want to make it look like it belonged, but it is necessary to move it.

Another one, I must confess there is that thought at times. That Diebold recently on the forum if in the UK would drag me into action, it is art in steel, just so sexy.

But for quite a few years I did look for a Chatwood cylinder safe, not one locked with the key broken inside and had been in the floods we had as well, yes I did a little research. Strange thing is history says they were supplied in fairly large numbers to 'was it' Allied Dairies, yet that was in the twenties I believe and they just dont turn up. Hens teeth it would appear and so little about them on the web either. Even their size is a mystery let alone the weight.

So if its confession time, yes I might but it would have to be something a little special aethetically. I do have my eye on something else that pertains to this forum, so I might be back as they say.

You take care, Steve.

[QUOTE=Steve48;29954]
    Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Steve, Fantastic job on the Whitfield, superb inside and out. Love the boltwork and the studs/nuts. Not sure about you never doing another though....I bet you've already been looking around for one!

Hi Huw,

Thank you for such a great compliment. Just spent my pocket money on some oak to make a cradle for it, I have some antique iron castors. You might wonder, but I didnt want to confuse the issue this safe like all our English ones was never fitted with wheels, so I didnt want to make it look like it belonged, but it is necessary to move it.

Another one, I must confess there is that thought at times. That Diebold recently on the forum if in the UK would drag me into action, it is art in steel, just so sexy.

But for quite a few years I did look for a Chatwood cylinder safe, not one locked with the key broken inside and had been in the floods we had as well, yes I did a little research. Strange thing is history says they were supplied in fairly large numbers to 'was it' Allied Dairies, yet that was in the twenties I believe and they just dont turn up. Hens teeth it would appear and so little about them on the web either. Even their size is a mystery let alone the weight.

So if its confession time, yes I might but it would have to be something a little special aethetically. I do have my eye on something else that pertains to this forum, so I might be back as they say.

You take care, Steve.
    The Chatwood bomb was for Northern Dairies. Chubb did theirs for Allied Dairies.

Default Intrigued

Well Tom I guess its no secret you have one, how about starting a thread about yours, would love to see some photos and some information on the bomb or cylinder.......... Perhaps too some knowledge about the numbers that were made.

No pressure, just a passing comment, Steve.

Thread Information