Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with Two John Tann Safes please.

Hello all, This is my first post so please be gentle with me! I recently acquired three safes for a demolition site for what I think a reasonable price.

I would please like some/any information about these safes. The first one is a large John Tann two door Safe, there are some numbers stamped on the top of the primary door which are 11.1.0. also on the top 'lever' that locks the safe the following numbers are stamped into it 21567.
    Sadly all the brass work has been removed by some kind soul! A while ago I might add as rust has formed. From memory the Safe is 29 inches high 4 feet wide and two feet deep.

I have tried to find some pictures on the internet of similar Safes to get an idea of what is missing but so far nothing has come to light!

The second Safe is a single door John Tann Safe, numbers stamped on top of the door are 6.0.24 and the numbers stamped on the top locking lever are 18331. Hopefully someone can help me. Also hopefully I will be able to post some pictures soon.

Kind regards Mark1

P.s The third Safe is a Milners but I'll worry about that one later.

Default Tann Safes.

[QUOTE=Mark1;28973]Hello all, This is my first post so please be gentle with me! I recently acquired three safes for a demolition site for what I think a reasonable price.

Hopefully someone can help me. Also hopefully I will be able to post some pictures soon.

Kind regards Mark1

Mark, the Tann Double Door with a weight of 11 cwts,1 qr. (570 kg) and number 21567 was made in 1899.
    The safe 18331 with a weight of 6 cwts, 0 qrs, 24 lbs. (315 kg) was made in 1893.

Photographs showing the outside and inside of the door should enable identification of quality. There should be some form of identification plates on the back of the door.
    The same applies to the Milner where the serial and lock numbers are stamped into the front edge of the body above the door.

Default Thank you Safeman

[QUOTE=safeman;28974]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Hello all, This is my first post so please be gentle with me! I recently acquired three safes for a demolition site for what I think a reasonable price.

Hopefully someone can help me. Also hopefully I will be able to post some pictures soon.

Kind regards Mark1

Mark, the Tann Double Door with a weight of 11 cwts,1 qr. (570 kg) and number 21567 was made in 1899.
    The safe 18331 with a weight of 6 cwts, 0 qrs, 24 lbs. (315 kg) was made in 1893.

Photographs showing the outside and inside of the door should enable identification of quality. There should be some form of identification plates on the back of the door.
    The same applies to the Milner where the serial and lock numbers are stamped into the front edge of the body above the door.
    Hello Safeman, Many,Many thanks for your help/information. Do you know of any other of the two door Safes? Are they a common Safe? I would like to see how it should look. Kindest regards and once again thank you very much.

[QUOTE=Mark1;28977]
    Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Hello Safeman, Many,Many thanks for your help/information. Do you know of any other of the two door Safes? Are they a common Safe? I would like to see how it should look. Kindest regards and once again thank you very much.
    Can't tell you anything until I see some good pictures.

Default Pictures

[QUOTE=safeman;28978]

Sorry email not working at the moment will upload pictures asap

[QUOTE=safeman;28978]

Good Evening, Hopefully I enclose some pictures of my Two Door John Tann Safe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s1.jpg   s2.jpg   s3.jpg   s4.jpg   s5.jpg  

s6.jpg  

Default Picture of my John Tann 'Safe two'

[QUOTE=safeman;28978]

Sorry no 'good' pictures of exterior of this Safe at present
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s7.jpg  

Don't know if the key register details for those numbers are of any use;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180319_080442_Burst01.jpg   20180319_080710_Burst01.jpg  

Default Thanks Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Don't know if the key register details for those numbers are of any use;
    Hello, Yes, Thank you Gary. Any information about these Safes is all gratefully received. Kind regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark1; 20-03-18 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Mistake

[QUOTE=Mark1;28977]
    Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    The Tann List 2 as with all the other grades were offered in a number of sizes including double-doored versions. They were not uncommon.

Your safe No.21567 was one of the first Tann safes to be known as the No.2 Bent Body. Prior to this date safes had been of a square body construction made up of separate sheets of metal rivetted over an angle iron frame. In this style the four sides comprise a singe sheet bent at the four corners and the back plate attached separately. This gives less opportunity for splitting the body apart.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann List2 DD.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	266.6 KB 
ID:	19704

Thread Information