Welcome to our world of Locks and Locksmiths (click logo or scroll down to view all):-
 www.Antique-Locks.com 
  
HoL
   COLTi
Or are you looking for modern, or recent past,
Keys, Locks or Safes.
keys, locks & safes
Industrial Archaeology of Locks HoL Museum
COLTi
  
Please support our forum sponsors where you can.
Researching locks from antiquity to the recent past.Maintaining a reference collection & archive.Today's scene and cutting edge developments.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    577
    Country: Bulgaria

    Default

    It is annoying when somebody removes a few pence worth of brass and thus ruin a safe.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Some belated pictures of my small John Tann Safe

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Yeah they're going in my Garage, Hope to get them looking nice. Shame all the bits were stolen/broken..... I will post some numbers from the Milners Safe I have sometime today hopefully. Do I need to start a new 'thread'? 'Post' for that?
    Just a few (not brilliant) pictures of my small John Tann Safe if anyone's interested
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small Tann.jpg   small Tann and Milners.jpg  

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Annoying

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    It is annoying when somebody removes a few pence worth of brass and thus ruin a safe.
    Annoying to say the very least!!!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    577
    Country: Bulgaria

    Default

    It used to annoy me when alarm fitters, in the old days, fitting the alarmed escutcheons would remove the name plate to use one of the screw holes, because they were too lazy to drill and tap a hole of their own.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Lazyness

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    It used to annoy me when alarm fitters, in the old days, fitting the alarmed escutcheons would remove the name plate to use one of the screw holes, because they were too lazy to drill and tap a hole of their own.
    Yes as I said in one of my previous posts these people have no regard for anything and just think of themselves and their pocket......

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    323
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post


    Just a few (not brilliant) pictures of my small John Tann Safe if anyone's interested

    As you say Mark, your pictures are difficult to interpret but despite that your Tann is a List 2a which was the most produced Tann safe having been in production from 1869 to 1900.
    It was known in the factory as the MM quality referring to the fact that it was machine made.
    This refers to the fact that the body was bent from a single plate of wrought iron in a horizontal plane leaving no weak joints on the corners. Wrought iron like wood has a grain and an only be bent in one direction without fracturing.
    The Milner safe is probably a List 2 from about 1920. At least not all the furniture is gone.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Thank you Safeman

    Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    As you say Mark, your pictures are difficult to interpret but despite that your Tann is a List 2a which was the most produced Tann safe having been in production from 1869 to 1900.
    It was known in the factory as the MM quality referring to the fact that it was machine made.
    This refers to the fact that the body was bent from a single plate of wrought iron in a horizontal plane leaving no weak joints on the corners. Wrought iron like wood has a grain and an only be bent in one direction without fracturing.
    The Milner safe is probably a List 2 from about 1920. At least not all the furniture is gone.
    Thanks very much for the information Safeman

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •