Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It is annoying when somebody removes a few pence worth of brass and thus ruin a safe.

Default Some belated pictures of my small John Tann Safe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Yeah they're going in my Garage, Hope to get them looking nice. Shame all the bits were stolen/broken..... I will post some numbers from the Milners Safe I have sometime today hopefully. Do I need to start a new 'thread'? 'Post' for that?
    Just a few (not brilliant) pictures of my small John Tann Safe if anyone's interested
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small Tann.jpg   small Tann and Milners.jpg  

Default Annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    It is annoying when somebody removes a few pence worth of brass and thus ruin a safe.
    Annoying to say the very least!!!

It used to annoy me when alarm fitters, in the old days, fitting the alarmed escutcheons would remove the name plate to use one of the screw holes, because they were too lazy to drill and tap a hole of their own.

Default Lazyness

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    It used to annoy me when alarm fitters, in the old days, fitting the alarmed escutcheons would remove the name plate to use one of the screw holes, because they were too lazy to drill and tap a hole of their own.
    Yes as I said in one of my previous posts these people have no regard for anything and just think of themselves and their pocket......

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post

Just a few (not brilliant) pictures of my small John Tann Safe if anyone's interested

As you say Mark, your pictures are difficult to interpret but despite that your Tann is a List 2a which was the most produced Tann safe having been in production from 1869 to 1900.
    It was known in the factory as the MM quality referring to the fact that it was machine made.
    This refers to the fact that the body was bent from a single plate of wrought iron in a horizontal plane leaving no weak joints on the corners. Wrought iron like wood has a grain and an only be bent in one direction without fracturing.
    The Milner safe is probably a List 2 from about 1920. At least not all the furniture is gone.

Default Thank you Safeman

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    As you say Mark, your pictures are difficult to interpret but despite that your Tann is a List 2a which was the most produced Tann safe having been in production from 1869 to 1900.
    It was known in the factory as the MM quality referring to the fact that it was machine made.
    This refers to the fact that the body was bent from a single plate of wrought iron in a horizontal plane leaving no weak joints on the corners. Wrought iron like wood has a grain and an only be bent in one direction without fracturing.
    The Milner safe is probably a List 2 from about 1920. At least not all the furniture is gone.
    Thanks very much for the information Safeman

Thread Information