Welcome to our world of Locks and Locksmiths (click logo or scroll down to view all):-

 www.Antique-Locks.com 
HoL
Or are you looking for modern, or recent past,
Keys, Locks or Safes.
keys, locks & safes
Industrial Archaeology of Locks History of Locks Museum
Please support the HoL Museum Shop where you can.
Researching locks from antiquity to the recent past.Maintaining a reference collection & archive.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Many thanks Safeman.

    [QUOTE=safeman;29011]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post

    The Tann List 2 as with all the other grades were offered in a number of sizes including double-doored versions. They were not uncommon.

    Your safe No.21567 was one of the first Tann safes to be known as the No.2 Bent Body. Prior to this date safes had been of a square body construction made up of separate sheets of metal rivetted over an angle iron frame. In this style the four sides comprise a singe sheet bent at the four corners and the back plate attached separately. This gives less opportunity for splitting the body apart.
    Attachment 19704
    Thanks for all of that information Safeman. Would just like to see one with its plates and levers/handles/ knobs? in place, as if possible I would like to replace them. It's a lovely Safe just a shame it's been abused by people who don't have any regard for anything. Thanks again.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    417
    Country: Great Britain

    Default

    [QUOTE=Mark1;29013]
    Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Thanks for all of that information Safeman. Would just like to see one with its plates and levers/handles/ knobs? in place, as if possible I would like to replace them. It's a lovely Safe just a shame it's been abused by people who don't have any regard for anything. Thanks again.
    These photographs are from the same period and show the door furniture used at the time.
    The large double door safe is a List 4 which should be fairly close in terms of external fittings although without nameplates.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan Tann 9.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	19705 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhib. safes.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	19706

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Many thanks again Safeman.

    [QUOTE=safeman;29014]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post

    These photographs are from the same period and show the door furniture used at the time.
    The large double door safe is a List 4 which should be fairly close in terms of external fittings although without nameplates.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan Tann 9.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	19705 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Exhib. safes.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	352.4 KB 
ID:	19706
    Thanks, There's some nice ones there.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    417
    Country: Great Britain

    Thumbs down

    [QUOTE=Mark1;29013]
    Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Thanks for all of that information Safeman. Would just like to see one with its plates and levers/handles/ knobs? in place, as if possible I would like to replace them. It's a lovely Safe just a shame it's been abused by people who don't have any regard for anything. Thanks again.

    Here's closer illustration showing the door furniture in more detail. Although this dates from the 1920's the brasswork will most likely be identical.

    Ebay sometimes come up with these items.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann-New-Security.web.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	19709

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    653
    Country: Kuwait

    Default

    The old days when Tann could boast that their safes had never been compromised! That is quite a claim.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Many thanks Safeman.

    [QUOTE=safeman;29019]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post


    Here's closer illustration showing the door furniture in more detail. Although this dates from the 1920's the brasswork will most likely be identical.

    Ebay sometimes come up with these items.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tann-New-Security.web.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	19709
    Thanks for all your help, I'll keep an eye out. You never know!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Thanks Chubby

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    The old days when Tann could boast that their safes had never been compromised! That is quite a claim.
    Indeed yes and thanks.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Update on my Two Door John Tann Safe

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Indeed yes and thanks.
    I have just unloaded my Two Door Safe off of my trailer on my own with just a steel plate some blocks of wood and some lengths of one inch water pipe.

    I really enjoyed this far better than working! I have enclosed some pictures of the 'operation'

    In the last picture I've only got about eighty feet to go to get it to my Garage door!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails safe 10.jpg   safe 11.jpg   safe 12.jpg   safe 13.jpg  

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    653
    Country: Kuwait

    Default

    Yes, moving a mid weight safe, such as your double door one, is a breeze, especially when it is so wide. I used to enjoy shifting them too. It is amazing what can be done once the unit is on rollers.

    Now comes the fun of renovating them.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    21
    Country: UK

    Default Thanks Chubby

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Yes, moving a mid weight safe, such as your double door one, is a breeze, especially when it is so wide. I used to enjoy shifting them too. It is amazing what can be done once the unit is on rollers.

    Now comes the fun of renovating them.
    Yeah they're going in my Garage, Hope to get them looking nice. Shame all the bits were stolen/broken..... I will post some numbers from the Milners Safe I have sometime today hopefully. Do I need to start a new 'thread'? 'Post' for that?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •