Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Very old Yale cylinder lock

This is the oldest Yale cylinder I've ever seen. The patent dates on the mortise lock it came from are June 27, 1865 & April 2, 1878. Lock & key are both marked Yale Lock Mfg. Co., which makes it pre-1884 unless Y&T didn't change the name on the products until later. I think the lock is ~1880 ish. Anyone have any info as to how old/how long this version was actually produced?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    This is the oldest Yale cylinder I've ever seen. The patent dates on the mortise lock it came from are June 27, 1865 & April 2, 1878. Lock & key are both marked Yale Lock Mfg. Co., which makes it pre-1884 unless Y&T didn't change the name on the products until later. I think the lock is ~1880 ish. Anyone have any info as to how old/how long this version was actually produced?
    That is an original Yale flat pin tumbler key with trefoil bow, patented by Linus Yale, Jr. in 1865. It is said to have been replaced by the corrugated key in 1882 so your lock, bearing the later patent date; was likely made between 1878 and 1881. By 1904 the corrugated key was replaced by the paracentric key made of nickel silver with gold plate.*

*adapted from:
    Locks and Lockmakers of America (c) 1976, 1997 by Thomas F. Hennessy
    150 Years of Builders Hardware: Forms Use & Lore (c) 1993 by Maud L. Eastwood

Pete Schifferli

Default Very old Yale cylinder lock

Here patent number with date June 27 1865. Almost look like it but can't tell because can't see what on the other side of the cylinder.....Timothy.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default The back of the cylinder

Here's the back of the cylinder--standard Yale cam, just like much newer Yale cylinders. Amazing that a design patented over 150 years ago has remained in continuous use with so few changes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thread Information