Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Info request on Keil Model 4 1/2

Hello, ******Newbie alert******

So my first post.......i came across this site looking for more info on a Key Machine i acquired recently, looking for literature and maybe a value estimate, not sure if i want to sell this or not, i do have a little passion for keys, key machine, locksmith and anything lock related since as a child i worked for a true value hardware store and we also sold fire doors and decorative entry doors so my main job was to re key many locks about everyday as we sold lots of doors and some days would have 20-30 locks to re key, mostly fancy locks like Baldwin and that type so that was my intro into how locks worked and how to "re key" locks

anyways here is the info on the machine, it works perfectly and runs smooth as it did when it was new (i think)

I have cleaned it up a little, just used soap and water, nothing harmful and wipe it down, use air to get most of the key dust of it

Keil Lock company, Model R4 1/2 has a GE motor and i have the blank key holder display that went with it!

Let me know what you all think and thank you in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180312_130804.jpg   IMG_20180310_120537.jpg   IMG_20180312_130735.jpg   IMG_20180312_131019.jpg   IMG_20180312_131012.jpg  

IMG_20180312_130917.jpg   IMG_20180312_130945.jpg   IMG_20180312_130729 blurry.jpg   IMG_20180312_130717.jpg  

a few more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180312_130748.jpg   IMG_20180310_120544.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mike9300 View Post
    a few more pictures
    The Keil 4-1/2 is a quite common very basic manual machine for cylinder keys. Also sold as Model 4 which was less motor. There was also a kit to convert it to cut flat steel keys. Same as Ilco 2584 and 184 (less motor). Keil and Ilco were under the same ownership and sold identical key machines under both marques for many years. You machine likely dates to the 1960s and unlike some more sophisticated Keil models, it is in little demand by collectors and not as accurate or fast as contemporary professional cylinder key duplicators. The Model 4 was actually the first key machine I owned 50 or more years ago and I have long since traded up as I later discovered mine cut a bit deeper on one end of the key than the other, likely a manufacturing defect. Someone might be interested in buying it, perhaps somebody here will make you an offer; or you could try eBay? My two cents.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by mike9300 View Post
    a few more pictures
    Attached is a pdf of the parts list for the identical Ilco 2584. The replacement rotary file cutter P/N 23RF ($43.14), optional milling cutter P/N 34MC ($59.21) or optional side milling slotter P/N SMS45 ($80.71) are stocked by Ilco in Rocky Mount, NC and could be sourced from any Ilco distributor. All other parts are obsolete. Ilco no longer manufacturers key machines in the USA and are supplied by their affiliate Silca S.p.A. who manufacture them in Spain, India, Taiwan and perhaps elsewhere.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Attached is a pdf of the parts list for the identical Ilco 2584. The replacement rotary file cutter P/N 23RF ($43.14), optional milling cutter P/N 34MC ($59.21) or optional side milling slotter P/N SMS45 ($80.71) are stocked by Ilco in Rocky Mount, NC and could be sourced from any Ilco distributor. All other parts are obsolete. Ilco no longer manufacturers key machines in the USA and are supplied by their affiliate Silca S.p.A. who manufacture them in Spain, India, Taiwan and perhaps elsewhere.

Pete Schifferli

Thank you Pete! great info Thank you very much!

Thread Information