Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chubb leather night safe deposit wallet lock.

Never seen what one of these looked like inside, so opened one up for a gander, nice little lock and it looks like it has the option of a double keyway so the customer has their key, and the bank would have a key that would open all of them. On all the ones I have , they have single keyhole only, so the bank would need to keep duplicates of all the customer keys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails barclays deposit wallet lock (1).jpg   barclays deposit wallet lock (2).jpg   barclays deposit wallet lock (3).jpg   barclays deposit wallet lock (4).jpg   barclays deposit wallet lock (5).jpg  

more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails barclays deposit wallet lock (6).jpg   barclays deposit wallet lock (7).jpg   barclays deposit wallet lock (8).jpg   barclays deposit wallet lock (9).jpg  

ps if anyone is after one of these locks for their collection there is an antique dealer selling a wallet on ebay at present, and it is only a tenner at the moment.

I have seen dozens of those binned!

The single key ones were kept locked in the branch and the customer would come in and sign for the bag, usually paying the contents in over the counter in the usual way.

I’ve just swapped a wallet for 3 lovely Chubb bronze blanks with Jeff Turner

I have just been given a load of the single keyhole versions from a bank, and saw a double keyhole version on ebay which I have bought, although locked without keys. Just waiting for it to arrive now.

Were the bronze blanks for use in ships and explosives store locks? so no corrosion r possibility of sparks?

As far as I know Gary they were for ships bulkhead locks and anti corrosion would
    have been first in their mnds

What was gunmetal, I have seen locks and blanks in old catalogues described as this, was it a similar anti corrosion thing?

My understanding of gunmetal is that it is a grey corrosion resisting metal. I am not aware of a precise formula. Again, what I know as gunmetal is fairly low grade stuff. It is cast to shape.

Interestingly in USA the term seems to refer to a type of bronze.

Why UK gunmetal is called gunmetal, I have no idea. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a gun made out of gunmetal!

Thread Information