Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default old chubb found in a french farm

hi guys. found today in a old farm at 100 kms of Paris. no keys, bad re-paint but open and in very good condition, work well, no rust or deformation. does it possible to order keys with the serial # ? what's original colors ? the "salmon" inside color is it chubb one ?
    merci beaucoup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb 4.jpg   chubb 1.jpg   chubb 3.jpg   chubb 2.jpg  

Yes, the salmon is original Chubb.

No, you can't order a key from the number. If you remove the lock and take it to a good locksmith, he will be able to cut a new key.

As the original keys are missing you should alter the sequence of the levers so that the original keys would not operate the lock.

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    hi guys. found today in a old farm at 100 kms of Paris. no keys, bad re-paint but open and in very good condition, work well, no rust or deformation. does it possible to order keys with the serial # ? what's original colors ? the "salmon" inside color is it chubb one ?
    merci beaucoup
    Stephane, from the serial number this safe would have been made between 1892 and 1897.
    As the lockcase has already been off gaining access to the lock should be easy for having new keys made (assuming that it is still attached).
    The best way of finding the original body colour would be by removing the repaint.

On the top edge of the door there should be a number, stamped into the steel. If you let us know what that number is, we can tell you how heavy the safe is.

safeman and chubby thanks you for the light, you are the best. holidays this week so that was not in my plan but obsessed by this awful white repaint and after a full day scrapping i discovered the massacre : some beautiful details and vegetal gold original under the uneducated barbarians work. i have take care and test several method on the side but no miracles.
    now i know the building period and i will be glad if you find the weight because this safe has been a big challenge for me, i was frightened but now i don't regret.
    number on the door are (starting to the door pivot : 5 space 3 space 21 and on the opposite side 32 and WT letters on the middle of the door.
    another question : what's the best way to access to the lock ? i can see 2 series of screws under the paint : first on the plate of the external door and a second bolt on the square itself bolt on the door ? do you have a link or photos of this operation ?

merci beaucoup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb A.jpg   chubb B.jpg   chubb c.jpg   chubb D.jpg  

302 Kg.

I love those fish escutcheons.

You possibly are not aware but there is a fish, which in English is called a chub, the French is chevaine. So that was taken as the logo of Chubb. Much of their stuff contains references to this fish. Some of the old brass plates had a background motif of fish scales, for example. The plates themselves are somewhat fish shaped.
    chevainechevaine

Thanks chubby for the weight precision, i expected heavier but probably the size distorse the reality
    on the key plate there is a fish but the main plate look closer than an eye and the inside one also but now you told me that i see it differentely
    your opinion on the better way to access to the lock ?

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    another question : what's the best way to access to the lock ? i can see 2 series of screws under the paint : first on the plate of the external door and a second bolt on the square itself bolt on the door ? do you have a link or photos of this operation ?

merci beaucoup
    Stephane,

I do not understand your reference to the screws under the paint etc.

It's a long time since I worked on an old Chubb like this but I seem to remember having to remove all the screws that surround and fasten the lockcase on the inside of the door. There could be 40 or more! Also there may be 2 location pins to ensure that the spindle from the handle can be re-located easily when re-assembling.

Your safe is relatively light weight as Chubby's figure indicates. The body plate which is of a 4 corner bent construction appears to be quite thin - somewhere around 3mm - as can be seen around the front edge. This thickness will also be visible in the door rebates where, incidentally, you may also find traces of the original body paint colour at the top and right hand side as any repaint is unlikely to have been applied there.

Thanks chubby for the weight precision, i expected heavier but probably the size distorse the reality
    on the key plate there is a fish but the main plate look closer than an eye and the inside one also but now you told me that i see it differentely
    your opinion on the better way to access to the lock ?

Thread Information