Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default old chubb found in a french farm

Like Chubby said not going to find transfer in better condition than the one you have got. But I do know that there are place can do it you have to find place that can do it to explain of what you want. It may take money to do it......Timothy.......

timothy : the attached photo is found on the web so very bad quality. i contacted printers here and they can made a new one with very good photo or, you re right, create a new one based on this poor photo and yes that will be an insane price. I would have thought it would have been easy to find a good photo but it does not seem to be the case !

Stephane, I don't want to annoy you, but why are you wanting to do this? Of course it is your choice what you do with your money and possessions. You have a lovely old Chubb with an original transfer in excellent condition. Clean it up and enjoy it as a thing of authentic beauty.

Chubby, this photo isn’t on mine safe, i found it on the web and i will be glad if someone could provide a hi resolution photo of the same.

Stephane, I appreciate your quest to replicate that artwork as I have gone through similar dilemmas. I downloaded the picture that you posted and even at that resolution most of it could be reworked to satisfactory results. The coat of arms with the lions will be the tough part.

I have often gone to the site that an internet picture that was posted to and researched the photo or tracked down the owner of the item. If it was on a web site, I will join and contact the poster. If it was an auction, then track down the the seller or contact the auction service to see if they can put you in touch with the seller or buyer. Sometimes I got lucky, other times I found a sympathetic ear to my cause who put me in touch with a source. Of coarse, I struck out a few times too. It is surprising what can be tracked down with a keyboard.

Here is a link to another similar safe. It is at an angle and the resolution is worse than yours. I would contact the auction house in the UK and see if they can help. With the white background a good picture of it would work. The auction is from 2015, recent, in scheme of old safes.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...4-c-d5c4cf48ad

Working in Photoshop or Illustrator, amazing things can be done with a crappy picture but it is time consuming and using a professional person is cost prohibitive.. If you don't have the computer skills look for someone who is retired or a high school/collage kid who yearns to be a graphic artist. Some of the young people are a whiz at these programs. I placed a Craigslist ad for one and found an underemployed fellow who was pleased to help me in order to make a few extra dollars. Good luck, where there is a will there is a way.

Quote Originally Posted by 00247 View Post
    Stephane, I appreciate your quest to replicate that artwork as I have gone through similar dilemmas. I downloaded the picture that you posted and even at that resolution most of it could be reworked to satisfactory results. The coat of arms with the lions will be the tough part.

I have often gone to the site that an internet picture that was posted to and researched the photo or tracked down the owner of the item. If it was on a web site, I will join and contact the poster. If it was an auction, then track down the the seller or contact the auction service to see if they can put you in touch with the seller or buyer. Sometimes I got lucky, other times I found a sympathetic ear to my cause who put me in touch with a source. Of coarse, I struck out a few times too. It is surprising what can be tracked down with a keyboard.

Here is a link to another similar safe. It is at an angle and the resolution is worse than yours. I would contact the auction house in the UK and see if they can help. With the white background a good picture of it would work. The auction is from 2015, recent, in scheme of old safes.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...4-c-d5c4cf48ad

Working in Photoshop or Illustrator, amazing things can be done with a crappy picture but it is time consuming and using a professional person is cost prohibitive.. If you don't have the computer skills look for someone who is retired or a high school/collage kid who yearns to be a graphic artist. Some of the young people are a whiz at these programs. I placed a Craigslist ad for one and found an underemployed fellow who was pleased to help me in order to make a few extra dollars. Good luck, where there is a will there is a way.

i am stupid : when i found this photo on auction i didn't tilt to contact the seller and now i can't find it. so in ended auction i contacted seller of old chubb with same lettering and instantly the guys reply to me and send me a good photo of the transfert ! awesome. so thanks to you for the piste and to the kind english man for the photo. one of my friend is familiar with photoshop and image tools. probably that will heavy cost in wine bottle but i will try. i let you know on this restoration.

stephane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails interieur chubb 2.JPG  

Default old chubb found in a french farm

Stephane
    As t00247 said can be done. I already did some from my phone and here are some example. The first one was the one has, second one light it alittle it up a bit. The rest change the color.....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe Poster4.jpg   Safe Poster5.jpg   Safe Poster1.jpg   Safe Poster2.jpg   Safe Poster3.jpg  

Thimoty, i received news from the society who made transfert : they couldn’t and prefer honestely tell me that the photo isn’t suffisant in this condition so i need to wait on my friend to mix it in photoshop. I have send them a old ornament with gold accent to place on the inside border of the door and as told chubby the price is furious so that will be a challenge to do something close to antique original pattern on safe
    i don’t drop this affair and continue my research

Default CHUBB Fish design escutcheon

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    I love those fish escutcheons.

You possibly are not aware but there is a fish, which in English is called a chub, the French is chevaine. So that was taken as the logo of Chubb. Much of their stuff contains references to this fish. Some of the old brass plates had a background motif of fish scales, for example. The plates themselves are somewhat fish shaped.
    chevainechevaine
    These images depict the original artwork design for the Chubb fish design escutcheon. Held in the Chubb Collection at the LMA
    Last edited by Elbeekoc; 22-07-18 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Forgot the attachments

hopefully these are correct
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 36749.jpg   36749 1.jpg  

Thread Information