Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thanks safeman, you are right, there is only 1 screws serie, the other mark under the paint was rivet, i didn’t scrapp the paint so i was wrong. I will let you know
    thanks again

The only thing to do is simply to undo all the screws and lift the lock pan off. There is no short cut.

If I were doing it I would put the safe on it's back, open the door and get some WD40 or similar soaking into the bolts before I started anything. Leave it a few days and then attack it.

Do you have access to the drawers and coffer inside the safe?

Done, easy job. your advice for the lock : send the lock to a locksmith or change it for something compatible, new and offer more secure ? i am not obsessed by an internal lock i can't see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb E.jpg  

Default For your amusement only.

Stephane,
    The ornate and very decorative paintwork in which you first introduced your Chubb safe has puzzled me somewhat until it struck me where this style has appeared before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tann jewel safe.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	19585 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hobbs boudoir safe.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	19586 These are a Tann and a Hobbs Hart examples of a 'Boudoir safe' sometimes also known as a 'Jewel' and 'dressing room' safe. They are also known as 'Brothel' safes which may account for the internal partition section to accommodate the 'sales ledgers'. An interesting conversation piece peut-être?

I wouldn't change the lock. I would leave it all original.

The lock isn't the weakness on this safe, so by substituting a higher security unit you wouldn't, actually, be achieving anything.

Chubby, i was sure of your reply so this afternoon i called to a sympathic locksmith i meet when i came in Uk to collect safes. he announced 15 gbp by key to create with the lock so i will send the lock soon.
    Safeman : i am a VERY big fan of OVER ornamented safes, probably my "versailles" gene, i don't have limit with that, i dream to something in this taste. In my opinion, this is the ultimate stage when the safe becomes a work of art much more than the locksmith. attached photos of a small (very small 35kgs) english safe no value that i customized to train. big fan's friends here but to be honestly nice result but not yet at the level of what I'm looking for. so what method was used to obtain such scenery? hand painting? decalcomania? are there companies that sell or remake such patterns ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails custom 1.jpg   custom 2.jpg   custom 3.jpg   custom 4.jpg   custom 5.jpg  

You can get decals made, but they are ferociously expensive in my experience. One of my other interests is piano. When refurbishing a piano some people get a copy of the original decals. Of course if they are a standard design, they come cheap and easy. Otherwise the sky is the limit.

BTW as you are Fench, and interested in locks, who was the French king who was an amateur locksmith?

chubby : louis XVI, "le roi serrurier" busier in forging keys than taking care of the people, it made him lose his head ! curious passion for a king.
    do you have a clue for old style transfert ?

It is against site rules to post threads relating to commercial transactions. If you google decals unlimited you should find the major player in the market.

Ok understand thanks
    is there some photos or details on the part of safe factory who was doing the paint job ? I saw some US safes with awesome paint job !

Thread Information