Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Milner lock with Chatwood Milner key

Not seen this cross pollination of lock and key with different manufacturers names before, the key looks original and is stamped with the lock number, but I suppose it could just be a key cut by CM at a later date and stamped up properly, have any of you guys seen this before?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails milner cm (1).jpg   milner cm (2).jpg   milner cm (3).jpg   milner cm (4).jpg   milner cm (5).jpg  

milner cm (6).jpg  

Yes.
    I assumed it was a duplicate cut after the merger but don't know.
    The safe must have been much older than the key

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    ...but I suppose it could just be a key cut by CM at a later date and stamped up properly, have any of you guys seen this before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
    Yes.
    I assumed it was a duplicate cut after the merger but don't know.
    The safe must have been much older than the key
    +1, the banks were fanatical about using the OEM for service contracts and they always had use of original genuine coined factory blanks. Also agree that the safe and lock must predate the CM key by a long shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Not seen this cross pollination of lock and key with different manufacturers names before, the key looks original and is stamped with the lock number, but I suppose it could just be a key cut by CM at a later date and stamped up properly, have any of you guys seen this before?
    I bought a lovely key horse from john Holden that came from Roger Rabbits collection, John told me was made by a locksmith in the Milners factory or depot that fits double bitted Chatwood keys perfectly, I have always assumed it was after the merger when Milners engineers found themselves having to work on Chatwood kit.

Excuse me, but what is a key horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Excuse me, but what is a key horse?
    Hi
    A key horse is usually a locksmith made support for a key whilst it is being cut by hand or finished after machine cutting. It speeds up the process, it puts a radius on the step cut and avoids damage to the key caused by gripping it in the vice. There is actually no such thing as A key horse there are dozens of variations on a theme not least is a size to suit each gauge as if the key is not well supported there is a great risk of breaking the warding file and good files are now expensive.
    I hope that helps
    Chris

Thanks. What you describe sounds really useful. Unfortunately I can't imagine how it looks and a search lists a lot of horse key chains.

Default Key horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cepasaccus View Post
    Thanks. What you describe sounds really useful. Unfortunately I can't imagine how it looks and a search lists a lot of horse key chains.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	key horse.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	510.4 KB 
ID:	19619 Example, simple key horse and grip for bow..

Thank you!

Thread Information