Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default S&G Time Delay Combination Lock

I have an old Sargent & Geenleaf time-delay lock that I dug out of storage to assess. I'd like to get it working but it may just be a basket case.

It looks something like this but these pictures are from eBay and look better than mine --

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timelock mashup 3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	19495 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	timelock mashup 5.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	19496

I don't know the model number. The case lists US patent 1,867,001 filed May 18, 1929 and granted July 12, 1932 which establishes a no-earlier-than date but three other patents look more like this lock: 2,035,526 (filed September 5, 1933), 2,079,702 (filed May 15, 1934), and 2,079,703 (filed August 27, 1936).

Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to get the timer movements out of the case as opposed to dismantling the timer. The main springs are wound and I've figured out what lever to slide how far to allow them to run but they won't unless I nudge one of the wheels.

If anybody has any info on these (e.g. literature, model number, advice) I'd appreciate it!

I did get the timer module out. Fairly simple, remove the winding knobs/pointers, then the two screws on the outside of the case. Somebody else apparently did this before me and handily scribed "L" and "R" on the pointers but installed the left pointer upside-down.

It seems to be mainly gummed up from dried and congealed oil. Before I try to take the whole timer apart (which I haven't decided on yet) I need to figure out how to let down the mainsprings. I'm still looking the thing over to familiarize myself with it.

Thread Information