Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Chubb padlock

Default Chubb padlock

Have been asked a rough value and about how rare this Chubb Padlock is,about 6" by 4" by 1.5", any ideas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb padlock.jpg  

Hi Gary

I collect Chubb of all descriptions, and follow the market closely...

I've learnt that, regardless of what we think of the items in our collections, they're worth what the last one sold for, really. Market dictates...

That padlock was bid on yesterday, on eBay. Attracted 45 bids, top bid being US$1,825.

Alas, that lock is worth, at the very least, US$1000. Bearing in mind its original key, I'd say it'd be worth pretty much the $1800 someone bid.

The typical brass Chubb padlock is rather common. However, the Chubb's of that close-shackle sort and size are getting very rare. The few I have seen have sell, over the last few years, have been close to, or above, US$1000.

Supporting the value, I have one the same size as that in question, but at least twice as old. Bought it a year ago for about US$900. Was able to get the price down due to the key bow being non-original (though still well made).

Most of the locks that size, including mine, are ex-Government Armoury locks.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chubb Padlock, eBay.jpg   20240125_125418.jpg  

thanks for that info, it surprised me when it was at about 400 dollars, no wonder Jalpur have made an industry out of the fakes

No problem. I was expecting it to go for around US$1000. But they often don't have original keys, so that will account for a lot. There is currently a beautiful example on eBay, with two original keys. But at something like US$2500, its beyond what I can presently afford! And I do feel that is a little overpriced!!! Hard though, as the pull of a quality piece of Chubb engineering really is quite strong.

Have you seen many such Chubb padlocks in your time?

No, I am more a safe lock guy, and the padlocks I tend to come across are much more modern unfortunately, if I see a chubb corvette, I consider it an old padlock.
    I admire the really old chubbs for their quality, but at the prices you mention, we move in different circles.

Hi again. Oh, okay. Yes, the Corvette padlocks are nice. I have managed to get several. Funnily enough, they are actually harder to come by, generally, than the typical older brass ones. I have several with the offset keyway. One, strangely, the key just wont work.

Regarding your mention of, and interest in, safe locks, i actually have a few in my collection. I'll post them in a new thread, in the safe section. Would you mind taking a look and providing your thoughts on quality, and value?

Thanks.

Thread Information