Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Union 6-Lever Padlock

Good Morning, first time on here so please be nice ..Recently my young son and i were running our metal detector over an old house site when we dug up an interesting padlock. It has Union 6 Lever stamped on what looks like a zinc body, with a brass shackle. On one side of the shackle is written, Pat No. 508247, on the reverse side of the shackle is DS 23. It also has on the Zinc body MADE IN ENGLAND. I have cleaned it up and getting a key made for it at work. I can upload some photos when i get back to work tomorrow. I guess im just curious about its age etc. Ive seen one similar online but it has DS 18 stamped on the shackle.If it helps the old house site looks like it was an old New Zealand Railway house. Any help at all is appreciated,

Cheers

Daryl, Wellington, New Zealand

That a long way to have your padlock in New Zealand. Not sure if can find patent number but maybe someone in England can. Here are some example of maybe where the Union padlock come from.....Timothy.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Union1.gif   parkestmstdx.jpg   parkes26.gif  

Just a little more information on Union Lock:UNIONgrew out of a family business set up in 1840 in Willenhall - the heart of theBritish lock-making industry for over four centuries. The distinguished UNIONbrand provides an extensive range of architectural products for commercial andcontract applications and is recognised worldwide.

Thanks for the reply, still hunting for the exact lock details...interesting learning about he Union Company as well....Here are a few photos of the lock...I'll put it all back together at work and make a key to match.....cheers...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180228_111735.jpg   20180228_111701.jpg   20180228_111625.jpg  

try jos. parkes&sons england

Here's one more photo of the Ds 23 stamp....I've contacted an historian in the U.K so we will see what happens. ...Thanks....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180228_111827.jpg  

It's a #3240 series padlock from the very late 1950s onwards. Not much to add as you already know it's a die-cast zinc case which of course limits its age.
    Six lever and originally finished in a gold enamel and included in the Nov 1958 catalogue but with shackle marked PAT APPLIED FOR, so yours is therefore presumably later.

Thanks very much Huw, appreciate that. ..I have another lock as well that I'm looking up information on...It's another 6-lever Union lock...Will post up photos soon...thanks again. .

Daza

this same padlock,but with a brass body, is that likely to be earlier or later than 1950s? nothing obvious stamped on the shackle, union on the lock body and parkes on the key.

parks was acguired by chubb in 1965
    Bill Stevens has a lot of info on these ,they do open opposite our 6 levers here in U S

Thread Information