Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default My graal milners at home ! need informations

Hi, i am a very lucky man today : i finally found my graal milners after an epic 24hrs travel in Uk with fantastic people. that was exactly what i researched : big bolted door with the original transfert and "jeweler" interior amenagement (wood drawers with velvet carpet) i don't have the original key but a new one. there is #7035 on the up front left and #187899 on the up front right.
    i will be happy if an expert could told me what's the year of this beauty.

merci beaucoup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails milner2.jpg   milner3.jpg   milner1.jpg   milner4.jpg  

i will be happy if an expert could told me what's the year of this beauty.

merci beaucoup[/QUOTE]

Stephane,

Congratulations, a real beauty.

This is a Milner List 3 which, from the lock number was made between 1881-1882.
    This square bodied safe was made up until 1919 at which time Milner started to bend the ¼" steel bodies from a single plate.

thank you very much for the detail and fast reply. do you have an advice for the treatment ? keep it as this ? external resto with original color or fully customized ? i really like the interior so don't want to touch but the external don't match with my home. i don't want to do a "sacrilege"

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    thank you very much for the detail and fast reply. do you have an advice for the treatment ? keep it as this ? external resto with original color or fully customized ? i really like the interior so don't want to touch but the external don't match with my home. i don't want to do a "sacrilege"
    Stephane,

Of course it's up to you, but personally I would just give it a good clean to remove any loose dirt and then give it a coat of egg-shell varnish on the outside.

Ok i will consider seriously but some area are fully rust, anyway i will wait before attack. another point : do you have any ideas or example of embase to rise this safe and look matching ? i prefer and it's useful when safes are closer to eyes, attached a photo of a Bauche that i fully customize with a Fichet embase, and to tell true i don't use the Fichet one : to much down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bauche.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Ok i will consider seriously but some area are fully rust, anyway i will wait before attack. another point : do you have any ideas or example of embase to rise this safe and look matching ? i prefer and it's useful when safes are closer to eyes, attached a photo of a Bauche that i fully customize with a Fichet embase, and to tell true i don't use the Fichet one : to much down.
    Stephane,
    As regards the rust, one possibility is just to remove it with a wire brush before varnishing but it that leaves it too unsightly then you then repaint the body but leave the door in the original finish.
    I attach an illustration of some old safe stands from the 1920's. These are hand made by carpenters of very sturdy timbers. I would estimate that your Milner will weigh almost 500kgs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stands.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	19494

Thread Information