Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Thanks, What’s the size of lettering « milner’s » on original keys
    thanks
    Stephane, You will have to judge that for yourself from the photograph and the bow of your own key.

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Quote Originally Posted by stephane View Post
    Thanks safeman for photo, i can homemade this key the only difficult is to have the old style lettering style hammered
    do you have an idea if this is possible to buy this font style ? What’s the name of this tool in english ?
    thanks
    Stephane 'old font' style stamps are difficult to find these days, the modern stamps don't have the serifs on the letters making them cleaner but modern looking. Old sets do come up for sale occasionally but they usually fetch high prices as they are sought after.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	19508
    Also, the original makers name wasnt stamped on individually by letter but with a single die cut block like my one here, you could do it with individual letters though, just takes more time and practise to get it all aligned perfect.

Views:	10 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	19509
    Regarding antique keyblanks I have hundreds but the ones with Milners style bows are long gone in 7-gauge. Most Milners pin keys were 7-g BSWG from memory, but these left now are too big at 5.5 and 6 gauge.

Views:	11 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	19510
    I can't think of anyone having original factory blanks hanging around so silver brazing a Milners bow on a non-plated period key like safeman suggested would probably be the easiest way of making it look authentic.

thanks guys for aid. it seem to be difficult to do something very close to original. i will check for old bump style and try the challenge. i will let you know.

Thread Information