Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Replace larger old S&G safe lock with modern electronic lock

I have an old York safe with an S&G lock. The dimensions of the lock seem to be slightly larger than the common replacement locks. The lock bolt is 1.5 inches long and lock dimensions are approximately 3.125 by 4.25 inches. Common replacement lock sizes are 2.4 by 3.3 inches, almost an inch shorter on each side with a lock bolt 1 inch wide.

Are there Electronic locks that will fit this safe, or do I need to create new mounting points for a modern lock?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2069.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	350.2 KB 
ID:	19478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2070.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	19479Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2072.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	19480Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2077.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	286.8 KB 
ID:	19481Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2078.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	563.3 KB 
ID:	19482
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2069.JPG   IMG_2067.JPG  

Question why change the lock or it there something wrong with the one on there. That look like a nice lock just for a old safe....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Question why change the lock or it there something wrong with the one on there. That look like a nice lock just for a old safe....Timothy.....
    The owner is having a lot of trouble with it, and they want an easier entry to the safe. They weren't able to get in for a few weeks, I managed to get it opened.

Can understand of what you mean. Have same problem with people can't get lock open for lot of reason. Have you try to clean the lock..??.. Did you call S&G company about it as they should give you the right size for it. Otherwise may have to get a differ company that would fit into the safe. Beside I don't like the electronic lock as I have heard word some of them are big problem to deal with it. Also because it run on battery as some people forget to change them. Are you keeping the old safe look went out take it off. Hoping you find something and good luck....Timothy.....

Default S&G

You can use a S&G Titan direct drive with a bolt extension. This is a common request that I deal with. The only question is that if it is a safe use for holding bonded or insured items or money. The safe may not be rated to hold this type of contents and your wasting money on a update that should to be used on the new safe. The best thing if you think that this is the case have the person contact their insurance co.
    Pm if you have question on how . Enjoy Tim

Thread Information