Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Old Sargent keys

Hello everyone,

I have a question about early 1900's pin tumbler Sargent keys. I have a cylinder from I'm guessing 1950's or earlier that has five pin keys but six pins in the lock. It appears that the 6th pin is the deepest cut possible; keys are clearly cut for 5 pins with a notch in the tip for the 6th pin. It looks just like old Russwin cylinders that had the "guard pin" in the 6th chamber. The keys are stamped LB99335X. This is a lock straight out of a factory box, never installed. Anyone seen this before or know what the X in the key number means?

Default Old Sargent keys

Would be more helpful if have picture of the lock. AS key stamp LB99335X. The cut may be 99335. The X could be a no cut but if you have the key for this lock. It the key five cut or six cut..??...Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a question about early 1900's pin tumbler Sargent keys. I have a cylinder from I'm guessing 1950's or earlier that has five pin keys but six pins in the lock. It appears that the 6th pin is the deepest cut possible; keys are clearly cut for 5 pins with a notch in the tip for the 6th pin. It looks just like old Russwin cylinders that had the "guard pin" in the 6th chamber. The keys are stamped LB99335X. This is a lock straight out of a factory box, never installed. Anyone seen this before or know what the X in the key number means?
    Is the 6th pin flush with the shear line? If so, the cylinder may have been set up to work with both 5 and 6-pin keys for some special application or provide extra pick resistance.

Pete Schifferli

Default The 6th pin is just about at the line

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Is the 6th pin flush with the shear line? If so, the cylinder may have been set up to work with both 5 and 6-pin keys for some special application or provide extra pick resistance.

Pete Schifferli
    Yes the 6th pin is almost right at the shear line even when no key is inserted. The keys are clearly 5 pin, with the tip cut down enough to barely touch the 6th pin. The box it came in has GGMK stamped on it. I'm assuming this strange setup is related to master keying.

Thread Information