Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grayhair View Post
    It's been a long time and my memory isn't as sharp as it once was, but hopefully Billy Edwards will show up before long and either confirm or dispute what follows. I defer to him in advance.

As I think someone said, P is a proprietary multiplex sectional series (PA thru PH). While there is a PMK blank that passes all P multiplex keyways, there is no corresponding keyway that accepts only the PMK blank. The is also an L proprietary sectional series and LMK blank.

Page 21 in the document Pete referenced in post #15, shows the G, S and T multiplex keyways, their associated xMK blanks and a GST blank that passes ALL the G, S and T multiplex keyways. Note that while each group has a xMK blank, the GST blank is not marked GSTMK.

Not shown are GS, ST and GT blanks, each passing the indicated groups of keyways. They exist, but are rarely used. Again, take notice of the 2-letter indicators without the trailing MK.

Take a close look at the pictures of the RN11PL blanks from post #4. It could be these old eyes, but they appear to be multi-section MK blanks; probably passing all P and L multiplex keyways.

I wouldn't pretend to be as knowledgeable as BBE but I can tell you that the V-Series is the reverse of the G-Series, the Y-Series is the reverse of the S-Series and the Z-Series is the reverse of the T-Series. Also the K-Series is the reverse of the J-Series. Manufacturers can save tooling and design costs by reversing the same milling cutters used in production and thereby create new keyways. As you surmise, there are also L-Series and P-Series which are restricted. I agree with your supposition that PL is indeed the multi-milled master to fit both L and P-Series. I actually had a couple in stock which I had forgotten and they are indeed RN11PL, see thumbnail attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YaleRN11PLblank.jpg  

Thread Information