Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Lightbulb Pilot Patent lock on a small safe

Hi, I bought this at auction but it was at the bottom of a box and I never saw it till I got home. The front is marked pilot patent as you can see. The front brass part rotates and clicks as it moves, to compare it’s similar to opening a childproof medicine bottle without pressing down. The keyhole is revealed once turned. The base has an odd hole with a springed rod coming out of it. There is stuff inside this box too so I’m here to find out firstly what the lock is and then whether it’s worth breaking into or selling as it is. Thanks for any help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 04CC748A-6721-4E94-A33B-41720DB205C0.jpeg   1AE71569-25DF-43B4-A819-EFC23D8E0D70.jpeg   AD45C66C-DE78-4F36-B59A-DC940B67E2F2.jpeg   4BC7F3A9-346E-4067-A613-369642994EC2.jpeg   581A20B1-1E5C-4734-BDF7-FDA584FBE58D.jpeg  

Default Pilot Patent lock on a small safe

The brass cover it for cover the key hole so dirt or dust don't get in. The way the key hole look like you need a double bit key. There may be some locksmith in your area could open it for you or make a key for it. What on the bottom have no idea until get box open to look inside....Timothy.....

The trigger on the bottom would activate a bell.

Great. Glad I might be able to get into it. How much do you think it would cost to have it opened?

Also is this anything collectables at all because of the patent or is it not of too much interest?

Thanks for the replies, what would a Bell serve to do? Indicate it being opened?

Default Pilot Patent lock on a small safe

As what it will cost, this mean you have to check around to find someone that will do it. Keep this in mind all locksmith charge differ price to do the work. As Brian said: The trigger on the bottom would activate a bell could be went you pick up the box the bell will sound off or went open the box the bell will go off. This is my guess....Timothy.....

Thread Information