Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help in identifying key blank for small Eagle PTPK padlocks

I’m here again asking for help in identifying the key blanks needed for some small Eagle PTPK padlocks that I have plus some other information. I have two locks without keys and one with a key and also found a photo of a similar key on ebay. The key that I have inserts in all three of the locks that I have even though the keyways are a different size.

Smaller lock the plug is ~9mm diam and keyway ~5.62mm

Larger lock the plug is ~10mm diam and keyway ~7.3mm

Also can anyone elaborate on what the rectangular piece of brass insert above the plug on the larger lock is and how it works in the lock?

Thanks in advance

I have attached photos,
    One is of the Larger Eagle lock keyway that I changed to B&W which shows better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails key1.jpg   eagle push key padlocks1.jpg   key2.jpg   small eagle pin tumbller padlock key.jpg   larger eagle keyway2.jpg  

smaller eagle keyway.jpg   eagle keyway.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by candado3 View Post
    I’m here again asking for help in identifying the key blanks needed for some small Eagle PTPK padlocks that I have plus some other information. I have two locks without keys and one with a key and also found a photo of a similar key on ebay. The key that I have inserts in all three of the locks that I have even though the keyways are a different size.

Smaller lock the plug is ~9mm diam and keyway ~5.62mm

Larger lock the plug is ~10mm diam and keyway ~7.3mm

Also can anyone elaborate on what the rectangular piece of brass insert above the plug on the larger lock is and how it works in the lock?

Thanks in advance

I have attached photos,
    One is of the Larger Eagle lock keyway that I changed to B&W which shows better
    I'm guessing the key shown may be Old Ilco 1013E, see thumbnail attached. Crosses to EA-9 Curtis, 5230 Eagle, 5232 Eagle, 165B Keil & E5230 Graham all of which are unfortunately l-o-n-g discontinued. As for the larger one, Eagle had numerous similar looking, but different "corrugated" type keys and the best course of action would be to find someone who has an assortment which you could try to see if you find one that fits; many of those are obsolete as well.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OldIlco1013E.jpg  

Too bad as Ilco or Yale company will not make those key like the good old day. It would be nice if Ilco could make all the original key blank for all the padlock in the past. Stop and think of how much extra money Ilco could make.....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Too bad as Ilco or Yale company will not make those key like the good old day. It would be nice if Ilco could make all the original key blank for all the padlock in the past. Stop and think of how much extra money Ilco could make.....Timothy.....
    Unfortunately the bean counters at Kaba Ilco, ASSA ABLOY/Yale and other manufacturers don't see it that way. Even now they are all continually discontinuing items that are slow sellers. Regrettably, unless they can move thousands of any SKU per year, they do not deem the item to be profitable. My two cents.

Pete Schifferli

If you are member of eBay go here as they do have some Eagle key blank may work....Timothy.....< http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?X-EBA...o=1&rmvSB=true >

Pete
    I can understand of what use saying but there are lot antique padlock with no key. this is why should have the original key come back....

Pete
    I can understand of what use saying but there are lot antique padlock with no key. this is why should have the original key come back....
    That is not my opinion Timothy, I agree with you. Unfortunately, it is the position of most all the manufacturers, many of whom are now owned by large off-shore conglomerates whose primary concern is the bottom line.

Pete

Timothy I've thought about this on and off for a while as the obsolete blanks problems seem to crop up quite often.
    Out of curiosity what blanks do the padlock collectors and enthusiasts need the most, and have you got any pictures of them or of the same profile cut keys that you could post?

I mainly use bit key blanks, and large sizes are not so commonly stocked. As well as some lever locks, they are also needed for warded door and safe locks.
    Two particular blanks are Cotterill Climax, and Cotterill-Wilson blanks.

I have made Yale feather keys from flat steel blanks, no problem. But I don't know if Yale corrugated blanks are still available (not that I need any myself).

Default blanks

your larger eagle ptpk i might have blanks for it ? the eagle i have doesn't have the rectangle piece in the plug,the smaller one i doudt if any blanks i have would work because of the shoulder when pushed into the lock body. a couple of these blanks work on mine,but the top shoulder needs filed off. the one that might work only has the one shoulder
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00708.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	420.9 KB 
ID:	17637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00709.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	326.5 KB 
ID:	17638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00710.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	328.9 KB 
ID:	17639Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00712.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	373.3 KB 
ID:	17641
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM00711.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00713.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	17652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00714.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	288.3 KB 
ID:	17653
    pete,your right on the smaller one is a 1013E the larger lock can use a 1014 with the top shoulder removed. not sure of the original blank # with only one shoulder.

Thread Information