Given that I live in Spain and that I am seeking information on what is ( I think) a French floor safe, I may be asking questions of the wrong forum but hopefully you chaps will be interested to see it so here goes.

It is 24'' Wide x 33'' High x 16'' Deep and I do not have the dial code, only two keys. The right hand key cover is blank.

The name plate - Viladot Barcelona is I think the supplier and I am hoping to find out who made it and the model.

I have seen quite a few similar alphabet safes on the web but they are generally 3 dial, the few 4 dial are quite different to my own safe and i have seen just one 5 dial.

All 4 dials on the safe are identical and there are only 25 letters on each ( there being no letter W ). Someone at some time has drilled a 1/2'' hole exactly in the centre of the back plate and I can just see a large diagonal cross bolt/plate about 2'' wide behind the door. It is still very shiny inside and all the dials turn easily therefore it appears to be in good order.
Given the dryness of this almost desert location, rust is never a problem here.

Between 1880 and 1950 a French Mining Company operated many mines in this area and I hope to find out if this safe might have been installed originally by this Co. We actually live in one of the old mine office buildings, now significantly extended and modernised into a comfortable home.

The small key, I have no ideas about but assume it may be for a box or drawer inside the safe. The main key comes up solid when turned anti-clockwise but appears to want to move something when turned a short way to the right.

Any clues as to the possible maker/origin/year of manufacture/locking mechanism etc etc would be extremely welcome, and who knows, maybe one day I will be able to open it but for now, here are some pictures
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0132 resized.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	464.8 KB 
ID:	19334
.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	710.9 KB 
ID:	19333

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0141 resized.jpg