Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default English Victorian Padlocks

Hello to all new to this site and hope to receive advice on opening some padlocks.
    These locks secure a 15th Century chest that’s within my care but is part of a very historic ruined English Abbey.
    Locksmiths have been unable to open these in situ,without damage. The chest can not be removed from it’s location as is protected under English Heritage.
    A.Thompson was a English manufacturer and apparently exported most of his locks to America so it’s with hope someone can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2755F25C-800B-4D99-B48C-BC282D45674D.jpeg   47355F77-F9DE-4F7A-A7E7-B80838A4283C.jpeg   D63C3C79-D0CB-4711-9AAF-31B577B773D0.jpeg   683E6A75-8D0C-477A-A45D-E9FD6046A695.jpeg   5F7FF39C-8BEC-4D27-97BF-228DE7B52C82.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dj059 View Post
    Hello to all new to this site and hope to receive advice on opening some padlocks.
    These locks secure a 15th Century chest that’s within my care but is part of a very historic ruined English Abbey.
    Locksmiths have been unable to open these in situ,without damage. The chest can not be removed from it’s location as is protected under English Heritage.
    A.Thompson was a English manufacturer and apparently exported most of his locks to America so it’s with hope someone can help.
    This is the type of key - I would suggest that you try a different locksmith.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sl1600-2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	836.7 KB 
ID:	19332

To my understand that those lock are hard to pick to get open. You need to check around to find someone that know more about English Victorian Lock. I'm sure someone in your area will be able to do the work on that lock.....That it a nice lock and chest you have there don't give up keep looking....Timothy.....

Hey Tom you post the picture just as I was writing this. No wonder that would be hard to make key or pick the lock. Like Tom said need t find another locksmith only be sure they know about your padlock. Beside I never has done any work on those lock....Timothy.....

Thank you all for your input regarding these locks. The option of another locksmith has been tried,the quoted cost are astronomical and unfortunately the Church will not cover that amount.
    Myself as a time served Farrier/Blacksmith,have worked and restored a few locks in my time. These locks are a challenge but do know my limits.
    The photo of the lock and key is of great help and very similar to how far my attempts to fabricate a key.
    Also have searched the web to perhaps find information on Thompson padlock mechanisms, to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj059 View Post
    Thank you all for your input regarding these locks. The option of another locksmith has been tried,the quoted cost are astronomical and unfortunately the Church will not cover that amount.
    Myself as a time served Farrier/Blacksmith,have worked and restored a few locks in my time. These locks are a challenge but do know my limits.
    The photo of the lock and key is of great help and very similar to how far my attempts to fabricate a key.
    Also have searched the web to perhaps find information on Thompson padlock mechanisms, to no avail.
    You said "Locksmiths have been unable to open these in situ,without damage" and then you said "The option of another locksmith has been tried,the quoted cost are astronomical".
    Which is it?
    I would suggest that if they cant do it without drilling, rule them out, if they can do it but dont want the job so quote an astronomical price, rule them out and try another locksmith.

Be careful what you ask for. Opening it will be very much less expensive than opening it and also having a key made.
    How much is astranomical?

Like Tom said you need to keep looking until you find the right locksmith that can do the job. This padlock not easy to make key or pick the lock as you think it would be. Also where you are at price may be differ from any locksmith you go to. I don't know to much about England but do know a little about town call Willenhall if they do have locksmith in or around that area. Reason asking because this is where Thompson lock was made. You can either look up or call them to explain of padlock you have with picture just maybe they know someone may do the work. It may cost money for it....Timothy.....

Thank you very much for all replies especially the photo Tom. I have tried to use the impression way with some success, getting around 45 degrees on the turn. Have also taken the advice to contact the lock museum in Willenhall,awaiting for a call.
    Tom in answer to your post we had two certified locksmiths.one spent two hours trying and said he could not do it without dismantling the locks. The other quoted £900 and would need the chest at his work shop. Unfortunately this will not be allowed by the C of E Powers that be. The church suffered a theft in 1977, taking the safe the keys within it,then apparently dumped in the local river and never found. We have no idea what if anything is contained in it.
    We would like to open it so we can deposit the relics of a saint,it’s difficult to explain more in open chat due to the security of the relics.

Well, instead of ICL I think you should have gone to www.locksmiths.co.uk instead.
    The lock museum is not going to be able to help.
    Where in the UK are you approx?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Well, instead of ICL I think you should have gone to www.locksmiths.co.uk instead.
    The lock museum is not going to be able to help.
    Where in the UK are you approx?
    South Lincolnshire

Thread Information