Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Wat Tyler

Default Wat Tyler

Help Needed

Hi all, I’ve acquired a set of safe plaques from a Wat Tyler Excelsior safe and wondered if anyone could give me any info. I’ve tried to search for info but I just keep getting results for the 1300s wat Tyler and the peasants revolts! I can remember the name from somewhere but I’m thinking was he possibly a dealer as opposed to a maker? Thanks for any help you Guys can give me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 92FD2C71-0F18-4AC5-98DD-C352A4212F60.jpeg   C8C17F77-A03F-4CBF-99AA-83AD6E27B451.jpeg   0B2A6915-DECB-41B7-8159-3AE5DE2288EE.jpeg   3B345214-6D90-4629-8809-C1749261A403.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Warren63 View Post
    Hi all, I’ve acquired a set of safe plaques from a Wat Tyler Excelsior safe and wondered if anyone could give me any info. I’ve tried to search for info but I just keep getting results for the 1300s wat Tyler and the peasants revolts! I can remember the name from somewhere but I’m thinking was he possibly a dealer as opposed to a maker? Thanks for any help you Guys can give me.

Hello again Warren. you probably saw the name listed from the 1900 London Trades Directory in my safeman.org.uk website, section 1, 'About Safes'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyler 1900.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	19311 They may have been fitted to a second-hand Tann Excelsior safe as the escutcheon suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Hello again Warren. you probably saw the name listed from the 1900 London Trades Directory in my safeman.org.uk website, section 1, 'About Safes'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyler 1900.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	19311 They may have been fitted to a second-hand Tann Excelsior safe as the escutcheon suggests.
    Spot on safeman. I knew I had seen some info on him being a dealer, never realised he was badging quality safes of the day with his own name. Thanks again for coming up with the goods.

Thread Information