Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Stainless steel keys

A Chinese manufacturer makes stainless bitted rim keys for the British market but I wondered who else currently or in the past, did the same?
    it would be more expensive but would remove the need for plating. I guess that welding would Be more difficult but has anyone come across welded stainless keys?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    A Chinese manufacturer makes stainless bitted rim keys for the British market but I wondered who else currently or in the past, did the same?
    it would be more expensive but would remove the need for plating. I guess that welding would Be more difficult but has anyone come across welded stainless keys?
    This doesn't concern bit keys specifically, but in the case of Schlage all-section pin tumbler blanks like the "L" section for obverse keyways which are made of stainless steel; the manufacturer suggests these be cut at the factory only since the hard stainless material will destroy the cutters on key duplicating machines. I think the same caveat might apply to stainless steel bit key blanks.

Pete Schifferli

Thread Information