Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chatwood invincible

Hi guys,
    this is my first post on your forum and I have a couple of questions for you good guys.
    basically we have inherited a Chatwood invincible safe which came with the house, the house belonged too my partners mother with which my partner grew up in.
    The Chatwood safe comes with 2 keys and we believe they are not originals because my partner can remember the safe and at the time it only had one key and unfortunately the single key was lost, this in turn resulted in a lock smith coming out and opening it and then supplying 2 keys.
    so to recap we have a Chatwood invincible safe it has a a number stamped on the lock which is 29955.
    does any of you guys know the history of this safe and of course is there any value with this ( if any ) .
    hope to hear from you guys and I really would love to know the history about this safe.
    regards Sasha

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Welcome Sasha, see if you can upload some pictures, here's how
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...-to-your-posts

Hope these pictures help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0146.JPG   IMG_0147.JPG   IMG_0148.JPG   IMG_0149.JPG   IMG_0150.JPG  

IMG_0151.JPG  

I assume there is a handle on the other end.

It isn't designed as a safe. It is a strongbox, designed to have the door on the top. It is fairly limited security, which is not helped by the carrying handles. I am out of contact with UK prices, but would expect value to be fairly minimal.

Yes it does have a handle on the other side it has a piece of wood that it sits on to balance it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Yes it does have a handle on the other side it has a piece of wood that it sits on to balance it out.
    This is known as the Chatwood List 1 Fire-Resisting Chest on the
    principal of Moisture Generation & Non Conduction.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    This is known as the Chatwood List 1 Fire-Resisting Chest on the
    principal of Moisture Generation & Non Conduction.
    Sorry, forgot date of manufacture about 1876.

Most of the manufacturers made something of the sort. Yours looks particularly good, as one would expect from Chatwood. I have seen them by Whitfield, which were just one of their fire resisting safes with 2 handles riveted in place. Milner made one with what was, effectively, the lock from a cash box holding the door. (I won't say "securing" the door). Yours is rather nice having that arm to hold the door in place.

There were some made for moving valuables around. There was an army surplus place near Doncaster a long time ago. They had any number of those. They were a plate safe design- i.e. no fire resisting lining and actually weren't half bad for the purpose. They had 2 fixing holes through the back- I suppose I should call it the base- anyway the surface opposite the door, so they could be anchored through the bed of a vehicle. I seem to remember those had a very hard undrillable plate over the lock.

Hi guys,
    thanks for all the information its very interesting to know the age and what the safe actually is.
    so does anybody have any idea what this is valued at.
    at the moment my partner wouldn't sell it or do anything with it she just wants to use it mainly because it has sentimental values for her.
    i bet it looked good in its hay day!!!!
    just for curiosity reasons how would I go about selling this safe without using eBay or similar sites but going to a collector or someone who would take pride in doing it back up to its former glory.

sasha

Value would be minimal.

Best way to sell it would be a free listing in a local advertising paper, or Ebay.

Thread Information