Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default key for yale lock

Hi -

I am desperately searching for a key for this lock. The lock is on an old Hartmann steamer trunk. I have called Hartmann with no luck, tried to call yale, spoken with numerous antique key/trunk shops, but I can't find any key that matched the LH6 on the front of the lock. The lock is made by Yale. I'll try to upload a picture later. Does anyone know if I am supposed to be looking for a key with LH6 or something else?

thanks

Maybe you should try call Locksmith and give him that key number LH6. That may be code number for that key and could cu a key for you.....Timothy......

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Maybe you should try call Locksmith and give him that key number LH6. That may be code number for that key and could cu a key for you.....Timothy......
    Some locksmiths have access to the Majestic Trunk Key Book, Vol. 1 published back in the 1930s; which shows a silhouette for LH6 on pg. 39. This cuts on Majestic 507M, Yale TA5658UG, Graham 2640AL, Old Ilco 1060A or Keil 180Z key blank all of which are unfortunately long obsolete. A competent locksmith can still fashion a key to fit using the available information, perhaps by modifying a similar key blank to fit. There is a supplier that specializes in old and hard to find key blanks and their BD413 should work. Your locksmith will know who they are, however note that they only deal with trade professionals; and do not sell to the general public.

Pete Schifferli

As what Pete said or you can look up Antique Steamer Trunk. I found two an call o email to them.....Timothy......
    https://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/keysfortrunks/

http://www.stevensantiquetrunks.com/trunkkeys.html

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    As what Pete said or you can look up Antique Steamer Trunk. I found two an call o email to them.....Timothy......
    https://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/parts/keysfortrunks/
    http://www.stevensantiquetrunks.com/trunkkeys.html
    Those are good suggestions from Timothy. If you scroll down to the bottom of the Brettuns Village Trunk Shop website you will find the keys he stocks listed, I did not find LH7. If you choose to use the Stevens Antique Trunks search service specify:
    1. Lock Mfg.: Yale
    2. Key Number: LH6
    3. Style: Corrugated

Pete Schifferli

thanks for the suggestions. I have long contacted all the steamer trunk people, those mentioned, and all the other ones I could find. None of them could help much, but said they would keep their eye open for a key. I have also gone through Etsy and Pinterest and emailed most of the people selling antique keys asking them to keep an eye for one.

I have been searching for the majestic key book for a while, but I haven't had much luck on that either.

I'll let you know what a locksmith has to say. I was really surprised that Hartmann had no record of it considering it is a Hartmann trunk.

Default pictures

would you have a close up of the lock ? I have 4 steamers but they all have eagle locks.
    anyone have photo of the blank ? Found nothing in the reed books

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lock.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	758.2 KB 
ID:	18977

this is it.. if it helps

Quote Originally Posted by mettler View Post
    thanks for the suggestions. I have long contacted all the steamer trunk people, those mentioned, and all the other ones I could find. None of them could help much, but said they would keep their eye open for a key. I have also gone through Etsy and Pinterest and emailed most of the people selling antique keys asking them to keep an eye for one.
    I have been searching for the majestic key book for a while, but I haven't had much luck on that either.
    I'll let you know what a locksmith has to say. I was really surprised that Hartmann had no record of it considering it is a Hartmann trunk.
    There is a Majestic Trunk Key Book Vol. 1 on eBay right now, see Item 173017870189. Security professionals can also access both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 online from the resources section of the paid member only ClearStar Security Network. See thumbnail for an image of the Old Ilco 1060A blank.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OldIlco1060A.jpg  

once in awhile this store has older trunk keys and blanks radonsales9998

Thread Information