Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chatwood safe

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Slightly OT, but does anybody remember an old Ratner with a top combination lock and a bottom key lock? The combination lock not only locked the boltwork, but also slid a cover down to block the keyway for the keylock.
    Yep they were nice safes often single skin bodies, we had the chance of a few being scrapped in the late 80s but we didn't have the space.

I have a couple of the Yale comb locks which operated the Ratner keyhole shutters, the shutter plates were flimsy compared to the high end Chatwood stuff focused in this thread though.
    https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...ht=Ratner+Yale

Tom let's see some pics then.

Crumbs, yes they were. We used to have to enclose them in a brick pillar. (That was common enough where I was at the time,but it was required for those).

Default Ratner Letter Lock.

Slightly OT, but does anybody remember an old Ratner with a top combination lock and a bottom key lock? The combination lock not only locked the boltwork, but also slid a cover down to block the keyway for the keylock.
    Chubby, the 1920's heavy Ratners - List 6 & 7 and later the Grade 7- were offered with 2 keylocks plus the option of the Ratner Letter Lock to close off the keyway. On the Grade 7 (below right) the 3 horizontal arrows show the live 'Safety Bolt' at the top and 2 dead 'Safety Bolts' on the left. The vertical arrow shows part of the servo bar from the letter lock. As far as I know Ratner was the first to use an anti-explosive device - the dead one in 1913 and the live one in 1918. I daresay the Letter Lock was superseded by the 1930's.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ratner List 6 & 7.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	318.9 KB 
ID:	19074 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ratner letter lock.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	19075 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ratner grade 7.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	19155

Was the letter lock a blister covering the keyway?

Was the letter lock a blister covering the keyway?
    Sorry Chubby, don't understand the question.

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Chubby, the 1920's heavy Ratners - List 6 & 7 and later the Grade 7- were offered with 2 keylocks plus the option of the Ratner Letter Lock to close off the keyway. On the Grade 7 (below right) the 3 horizontal arrows show the live 'Safety Bolt' at the top and 2 dead 'Safety Bolts' on the left. The vertical arrow shows part of the servo bar from the letter lock. As far as I know Ratner was the first to use an anti-explosive device - the dead one in 1913 and the live one in 1918. I daresay the Letter Lock was superceded by the 1930's.
    Those Ratners List 6 and 7s are amazing, way above the model I was referring in response to chubby's question but clearly on par with Chatwood's top offerings.

Come on Tom lets see some pics over Xmas hols.

How did the letter lock obscure the keyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Those Ratners List 6 and 7s are amazing, way above the model I was referring in response to chubby's question but clearly on par with Chatwood's top offerings.

Come on Tom lets see some pics over Xmas hols.
    Huw! You are a naughty boy! You have the orange which Santa left and you know that you can't play with new toys until after breakfast - so calm down, brush your teeth and get dressed properly!

How did the letter lock obscure the keyway?
    On the Chatwood the 4 lettered dials when correctly set, allowed the middle 5th dial to turn which pivoted a hardened plate (in between the keylock and the back of the door) away, exposing the keyhole of the keylock

How wonderful. I was thinking of the little hinged units that used to be fitted over the keyway of government safes. There was a CM Manifoil lock which had to be opened and a door hinged open. They provided an effective dual control, but that was not the purpose.

Thread Information