Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chatwood safe

Default Chatwood safe

Chatwood safe for sale on ebay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4689-01-800-chatwood safe.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	990.3 KB 
ID:	19151 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4689-02-493-chatwood safe door.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	19152 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4689-03-800-chatwood safe door detail.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	599.2 KB 
ID:	19153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4689-04-800-chatwood safe corner detail.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	536.1 KB 
ID:	19154

Have see ones with similar sliding hook bolts before, but not with this double locking, looks interesting.

That's a nice Chatwood Gary, never seen one with the big loop handle and a knob directly above it, I wonder is the knob fixed as a door pull or do they both operate the boltwork?

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    That's a nice Chatwood Gary, never seen one with the big loop handle and a knob directly above it, I wonder is the knob fixed as a door pull or do they both operate the boltwork?
    We will see exactly what it is like when I collect it

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Tom it'll be interesting to know if both work or not, I've had a new thread planned for years now on safes with two separate working handles/stages to the boltwork, just never got around to starting it. Let us all know when you get it, I'll add it to the list if it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Tom, I see that the seller included a photograph of the List 5 handles on a safe which Neil Coulson refurbished for a customer some years ago. That was #12116 with the small key unlocking the shutter which was in turn controlled by the knob handle. I believe that this shutter was at one time made of platinum. Could you be so fortunate?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chatwood handle.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	19156

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    Tom, I see that the seller included a photograph of the List 5 handles on a safe which Neil Coulson refurbished for a customer some years ago. That was #12116 with the small key unlocking the shutter which was in turn controlled by the knob handle. I believe that this shutter was at one time made of platinum. Could you be so fortunate?
    One can but hope - what is the scrap value of platinum? 😺

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    That was #12116 with the small key unlocking the shutter which was in turn controlled by the knob handle. I believe that this shutter was at one time made of platinum. Could you be so fortunate?
    Aha, so the knob controls the shutter and the drop handle the boltwork, thanks safeman.

Struggling to get my head around the use of Platinum on the shutter though, can't think of any of its properties that would suit the application here in terms of tensile/impact strength, anti-drill etc, not to mention it's generally around the cost of pure Gold bullion, and at times has been valued much higher.

Something like a Tungsten dense metal alloy I could understand for numerous reasons, but I don't think the technologies for sintering the heavy Tungsten alloys were around then, can you tell us any more safeman?

I have opened one in the past with the boltwork like this one but that just had a single sideways keyhole for a sideways mounted small invincible lock.

How heat conductive is platinum? if it was for a keyway shield it might have been for torch resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    How heat conductive is platinum? if it was for a keyway shield it might have been for torch resistance?
    It could well be Gary, it's soft and malleable so its conductivity would have to be ridiculously good to make the slightest bit of sense for its use over cheap alternatives like copper though.

Even at Chatwood's prices I reckon a decent slab of Platinum plate that size would have cost half as much as the safe! Seems a very odd choice.
    It's melting point is also pretty high but I think around half that of Tungsten which IIRC is mental at well over 6000 degrees F, although I understand what you're saying with conductivity and not the melting point being the key.

Thread Information