Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default New member needs help in identifying safe.

A new member here and am very impressed with the wealth of knowledge available. I acquired an old safe and would appreciate help in identifying the manufacturer. Front is hand lettered " J.HILLBURG SAFE CO. SYRACUSE N.Y." I found that they did not manufacture safes but sold them. Safe is approx. 36" high x 25"x 25". Combination dial knob is stamped P A T 2-1-10 and lever knob is stamped 213285. Fortunately the door was open and I removed the inner door panel and was able to figure out the combination. I have read 100's of posts and looked at a lot of picture , but can't find this safe. I would think it was a pretty common inexpensive safe. Thank you, in advance, AL
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0977.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	19040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0979.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	19041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0980.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	19042

Default Victor

Victor safe co. With a L2 Yale lock. Tim

Thank You, very much. it gives me a place to start. Any idea of age? Would the 87 painted on the door be a serial or production number?...Thanks, again, AL

Lovely condition. Just leave it as it is, except for cleaning and lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Lovely condition. Just leave it as it is, except for cleaning and lubrication.

Thank You. I'm going to leave it as you suggest. There are two inner locks, one on the main interior door and the other on a small door that I don't have keys for. I have looked for replacement locks with keys or just keys with no luck. I'm hoping someone can help me . Thank You. ALClick image for larger version. 

Name:	safelock.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	19110

I assume that it is not so difficult to make keys for this type of lock from metal sheet with some knowledge about metal working.

It should be simple enough to find blanks.

In UK the most common brand for those would be the Lowe & Fletcher ZA series. (At least they were when I was in UK many years ago). I think there was an older ZE series. Pretty well everybody in the trade and most petty criminals had a master for each series as a matter of course.

Thread Information