Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help Identifying Linus Yale Safe Crescent Key (1854)

Hi All! I'm excited to be a part of this forum and want to start out asking for help identifying this safe key. The safe itself has no markings except for the bolt, which reads "Linus Yale Patent 1854". I found the original patent document, but am unable to find any additional pictures or information at all. What is this type of key called? What was the original use for this safe? Any help would be great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7617.jpg   IMG_7616.jpg   IMG_6957.jpg   IMG_7620.jpg   IMG_7619.jpg  

IMG_7618.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Welcome Larry, what an amazing key and safe! Sorry to say I'm no help whatsoever with an ID or info for you, haven't seen anything even remotely like that over here.
    Can't help thinking it's something pretty rare and special which I'm sure given time will spark some interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by lockboxlarry View Post
    Hi All! I'm excited to be a part of this forum and want to start out asking for help identifying this safe key. The safe itself has no markings except for the bolt, which reads "Linus Yale Patent 1854". I found the original patent document, but am unable to find any additional pictures or information at all. What is this type of key called? What was the original use for this safe? Any help would be great!
    I can say with relative certainty that Linus Yale, Jr. only manufactured the lock and that the safe itself was likely made by "others". I have no information about the key but there is much information on Linus Yale, Jr., his early patents and successor companies in Locks and Lockmakers of America, revised third edition by the late Thomas F. Hennessy, pgs. 67-72. I believe this book is still sold by The Lock Museum of America of which Mr. Hennessy was a founder and curator: http://www.lockmuseumofamerica.org/home.aspx

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Welcome Larry, what an amazing key and safe! Sorry to say I'm no help whatsoever with an ID or info for you, haven't seen anything even remotely like that over here.
    Can't help thinking it's something pretty rare and special which I'm sure given time will spark some interesting discussion.
    Thanks so much Huw, I'm excited to see what comes up!

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I can say with relative certainty that Linus Yale, Jr. only manufactured the lock and that the safe itself was likely made by "others". I have no information about the key but there is much information on Linus Yale, Jr., his early patents and successor companies in Locks and Lockmakers of America, revised third edition by the late Thomas F. Hennessy, pgs. 67-72. I believe this book is still sold by The Lock Museum of America of which Mr. Hennessy was a founder and curator: http://www.lockmuseumofamerica.org/home.aspx

Pete Schifferli

This is wonderful Pete, thank you! I will certainly find that book. Can one make any guesses as to the designed purpose of the box based on its shape? Was it designed for use in a bank, wagon or train for example?

Quote Originally Posted by lockboxlarry View Post
    Typically called a 'grashopper' because of the way the key hops out of the lock after operation. While not ubiquitious, they are fairly common in the US.
    BBE.

Easily confused with William Hall's "Grasshopper" lock, it is a Linus Yale Sr. lock known as the "Peanut" lock, in reference to the key itself. Quite rare but I am not the one to put a value on it. I agree the safe was not made by Yale Sr. and was likely a New York maker like Herring. However, contrary to the commonly held opinion in the trade of Yale not making safes, there is good evidence Linus Jr. was making money chests during the same time period the keylock was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Easily confused with William Hall's "Grasshopper" lock, it is a Linus Yale Sr. lock known as the "Peanut" lock, in reference to the key itself. Quite rare but I am not the one to put a value on it. I agree the safe was not made by Yale Sr. and was likely a New York maker like Herring. However, contrary to the commonly held opinion in the trade of Yale not making safes, there is good evidence Linus Jr. was making money chests during the same time period the keylock was made.
    Thanks Doug, looks like I did have it confused.
    BBE

Thread Information