Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    There is a Majestic Trunk Key Book Vol. 1 on eBay right now, see Item 173017870189. Security professionals can also access both Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 online from the resources section of the paid member only ClearStar Security Network. See thumbnail for an image of the Old Ilco 1060A blank.

Pete Schifferli

Does the book happen to have a picture of what the cut key looks like that you could post - with some dimensions? Maybe I could 3d print one.

also, how much difference would there be between the LH6 and LH6ss key? I can find LH#ss keys in all number up to 12 except for 6. But, I am able to see a little bit of a pattern to what is being removed from the key as the numbers increase. I was thinking of getting the LH5ss and trying my luck, unless there are massive differences between the LH# and LH#ss

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mettler View Post
    Does the book happen to have a picture of what the cut key looks like that you could post - with some dimensions? Maybe I could 3d print one.
    also, how much difference would there be between the LH6 and LH6ss key? I can find LH#ss keys in all number up to 12 except for 6. But, I am able to see a little bit of a pattern to what is being removed from the key as the numbers increase. I was thinking of getting the LH5ss and trying my luck, unless there are massive differences between the LH# and LH#ss
    thanks
    The Majestic Trunk Key Book shows hand drawn profiles of the various keys without dimensions. It was a rather arcane method of originating keys by code but apparently common practice at the time. LH6 is found in Vol. 1 on pg. 39 while LH6SS is on pg. 45 of Vol. 2. The bittings appear to be similar, but not identical. I have attached images of both for what they are worth. I respectfully suggest you follow my earlier advice and have a competent locksmith source of the correct blank and make a key to fit the lock based upon the silhouette.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MajesticLH6.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	19030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MajesticLH6SS.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	19031

Pete Schifferli

Thanks so much. What I find interesting is that the key that we had was a square head key. I am beginning to wonder if it was a lh6ss. I am going to grab on the SS keys on ebay and see if I can make it work.

I have searched high and low for the key blanks too, but I am not having much luck.

thanks again

The Majestic Trunk Key Book shows hand drawn profiles of the various keys without dimensions. It was a rather arcane method of originating keys by code but apparently common practice at the time. LH6 is found in Vol. 1 on pg. 39 while LH6SS is on pg. 45 of Vol. 2. The bittings appear to be similar, but not identical. I have attached images of both for what they are worth. I respectfully suggest you follow my earlier advice and have a competent locksmith source of the correct blank and make a key to fit the lock based upon the silhouette.

Name:	MajesticLH6.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	19030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MajesticLH6SS.jpg 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	19031

Pete Schifferli
    I got my key - an LH5SS. It is the correct shape-factor. Its in the key slot, but only goes in half way. Is there anyway you can upload a picture of the LH5SS? I can then print them and put them on top of each other to see what kind of mods I need to make to the 5SS.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mettler View Post
    I got my key - an LH5SS. It is the correct shape-factor. Its in the key slot, but only goes in half way. Is there anyway you can upload a picture of the LH5SS? I can then print them and put them on top of each other to see what kind of mods I need to make to the 5SS.
    thanks
    That thumbnail is the image and about as clear as it is going to be, likely a third generation or more copy. I did a pdf of the entire page which is attached if that helps any.
    MajesticTrunkKeyBookVol2pg45_0001.pdf

Pete Schifferli

That thumbnail is the image and about as clear as it is going to be, likely a third generation or more copy. I did a pdf of the entire page which is attached if that helps any.
    MajesticTrunkKeyBookVol2pg45_0001.pdf

Pete Schifferli
    perfect I actually printed 1:1. Now I get to see how well I can modify.

there is a 1060c on ebay,looks simular with yale bow
    coolstufftobuy11

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    there is a 1060c on ebay,looks simular with yale bow
    coolstufftobuy11
    Old Ilco 1060C is similar to Old Ilco 1060A, but not the identical milling; see thumbnail attached.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OldIlco1060A&1060C.jpg  

Thanks for all the help. I got the LH5SS key to open the trunk. I was hoping the missing LH6SS key was inside, but it wasn't. I had to do two small mods to the key that are circled in red. I used my small file kit and JB Weld and went back and forth with turning the key to see what marks were made by the lock and then file a little off at a time. The first thing I learned was that the key only goes in half way. I thought it was going to go in all the way. That stumped me for a while. Second, was that the yale lock is spring loaded, so you have to give the key a little extra twist to get the lock open. I am really happy. My wife will enjoy the key in her stocking as well.

thanks again and happy holidays.

Name:	key.jpg 
Size:	369.1 KB 
ID:	19073

Thread Information