Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My first Safe Hall’s Safe and co

Hello. I’m new to the forum. Would like to share a little about what I’m intending to do. I have been lightly cleaning the entire Safe. I am looking for advice on how to minimize the imperfections on the front. I have made contact with a person to touch up the lettering and possible gilding. My thought are to then clear coat and utilize as a home safe. Any advice on touching up would be appreciated. The safe is 45x30x27
    sargent & Greenleaf mechanism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B2063CB0-6013-4652-A2DB-7337D75F01DA.jpg   1FB1598D-959A-4875-B06C-D9A0CB231D75.jpg  

Sorry about orientation of images.

To touch up, you can try using a satin black enamel with a small brush to touch up chips and scratches. On the art work it will be tough to match. Hard to tell in pictures but the lettering may be gold leaf but the stripes may be gold paint. It will be difficult to touch up the worn corner and not have it stand out just as much as the wear.

The old safes were covered with a coat of varnish to add shine and protect artwork. Often the finish is rough and crazed with age. Cleaners will take dirt off but will sometimes whiten the varnish. If it is dull and colorless try wiping it with a rag slightly wet with varnish. It will often shine the finish and bring out the colors but will to nothing for the aged texture. It will also help hide touch ups. Experiment in an inconspicuous spot such as on the back first to test compatibility and if it meets your needs. Careful with clear coat and test to see if it reacts with the old varnish and paint. Varnish might be a better option.

Here is a before and after using varnish to retrieve artwork.

hu35v8 1f2v809 1

I’ll try that. Thanks. Another question I have is does anyone have a photo of the inner door latch or lock. Mine is missing. I have been watching eBay but since I don’t know what I’m looking for I haven’t had any luck. Here’s a photo of the inner door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Has anyone replaced the hinge pins for the door on a similar safe? Besides dealing with the weight of the door are there any other issues I should expect. Will I have to have the replacements made? Or can they stilll be found?

Default Hall lock

If you could PM the measurement of the bolt pattern with the center to center and the over all case size.
    enjoy Tim

I have the equipment scheduled for Saturday. I put a few drops of kroll oil on both hinge pins to soak. The oil moved freely through the top hinge. The bottom hinge didn’t. I’m not sure why. Maybe there’s a bearing that the bottom pin pivots on. Will know more on Saturday.

I used the archives trying to determine the model of this dial to date the safe. Without success. Any help would be appreciated. On the safe itself I don’t see any patent dates. I do have the eagle stating not the earlier Hall’s Safe co. The corners on the safe are rounded but not as much as pre 1900 Safe. The sold by interstate steel safe co 29 so.LaSalle st. Chicago didn’t give me much info either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0DE6826A-FF67-4B60-BBA3-34D6509D1AA8.jpeg   6B75B092-36AA-4C88-ABCB-E722B3B5C7AE.jpeg   7CB8E992-ECAA-4679-8D43-BB9B594DC623.jpeg  

This morning I took the door off the safe. No major problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5A9BDCE3-3CFE-41E2-8893-AB97DD992827.jpeg   C82A837C-BE7E-4C3B-BC3C-9801009C1356.jpg   CADB723E-4DAE-422C-A045-DA3799443F91.jpeg  

The pin on the left had a jagged slag as seen in the photos. I am assuming this is from unlubricated drag, it was the bottom pin. The top pin was slightly bent. Neither pins were identical. I would imagine there was a certain amount of hand fitting required to get the door position correct. Has anyone experienced a similar situation?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B7D9EA98-26D2-4F7B-8037-9CA397504F12.jpeg   23155F48-4B6C-4694-BCBA-D87872B9A7D4.jpg  

Thread Information