Welcome to our world of Locks and Locksmiths (click logo or scroll down to view all):-
 www.Antique-Locks.com 

HoL
   COLTi
Or are you looking for modern, or recent past,
Keys, Locks or Safes.
keys, locks & safes
Industrial Archaeology of Locks HoL Museum
COLTi

Please support our forum sponsors where you can.
Researching locks from antiquity to the recent past.Maintaining a reference collection & archive.Today's scene and cutting edge developments.

Default Looking for any and all info on Corbin S series keys and locks

Hi all,
    I have accidentally become the unofficial locksmith for my family, as 3 of us now own ~century-old New England homes and have an interest in keeping the original door locks intact if possible, while still being able to lock our doors. My front door has a Corbin S24 keyed lock and my aunt's has an S31. I have not checked what my parents has yet (as they have no original keys and I haven't dropped by since they asked me about this.) However, finding keys for these old locks is somewhat difficult as none of the locksmiths near us are old-school enough to have even blanks, and certainly don't have any factory precut keys on hand anymore. From disassembling my lock and cleaning it out, I've learned a bit, and from buying random S series keys on eBay and Etsy and modifying them to work, I've learned a bit more, but this forum consistently came up in my research on Google so I figured I'd join. Does anyone have any Corbin S series keys? I am also interested in P, Q, R, H, and other Corbin series, but mostly curiosity only at this point, while S series I have a vested interest in. I would like to compile as much information as I can on these keying series and publish it so that others in our position can make keys for their locks instead of giving up and replacing them with modern locksets.

I am most interested in buying keys (specifically S6, S22, S24, and S31 at this point, but all S series accepted - especially if you post pictures and I determine I can machine them to fit S24 or S31) but if you want to keep them in your collections and just post high resolution photos of both sides of the key, that would also help a lot.

Keys I already have, or have info on:
    S6
    S22
    S24
    S31

The deadbolt lock I have seems to be a combination of warded and lever lock designs. It also has an interesting pushbutton lock/unlock mechanism in the mortise and a second, smaller keyhole on the outside only that can be used to lock and unlock the doorknob. I have not removed it from the door in a while but have some cellphone photos of its inner workings if anyone would like me to post them.

Quote Originally Posted by kastein View Post
    Hi all,
    I am most interested in buying keys (specifically S6, S22, S24, and S31 at this point, but all S series accepted - especially if you post pictures and I determine I can machine them to fit S24 or S31) but if you want to keep them in your collections and just post high resolution photos of both sides of the key, that would also help a lot....
    I am unfamiliar with the P & F Corbin "S" Series but I thought you might be interested in some information that I do have on Corbin bit keys. The "P" Series is extremely common in the Buffalo-Niagara region and there are thousands of homes built in the first half of the last century using these mortise inside locks. Less common are the "R" Series but there are many of them as well. I believe I have encountered "Q" Series as well. I have posted a couple of thumbnails from vintage hardware catalogs that may be of interest. The first is from a now-dufunct local hardware distributor, c.1956, which shows the "P" Series pre-cuts as retailing at $0.25 per dozen at the time. I thought that must be a typo, but DollarTimes Inflation Calculator says $0.25 in 1956 had the same buying power as $2.25 in 2017 so perhaps it was correct? The second is from a Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. catalog c.1960s, a then affiliated company; which shows pre-cut bit keys of the "P" Series, "R" Series, "BQ" Series and "BT" Series which were available from open stock in those days. Some of the after market key blank manufacturers also offered pre-cuts back in the day, I know that both Ilco and Taylor had the "P" Series and that Ilco also made the "R" Series; these are unfortunately all l-o-n-g discontinued.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weed&CoCorbinPseriesBitKeys.jpg   CclP&FcorbinCutSteelKeys.jpg  

Hi all,
    The deadbolt lock I have seems to be a combination of warded and lever lock designs. It also has an interesting pushbutton lock/unlock mechanism in the mortise and a second, smaller keyhole on the outside only that can be used to lock and unlock the doorknob. I have not removed it from the door in a while but have some cellphone photos of its inner workings if anyone would like me to post them.
    Those two-key mortise front door locks had what was sometimes called a night lock feature. As you described it, one key operated the deadbolt from both sides while a second key opened the latch when the outside knob was locked by the stop buttons. Popular on higher end housing in the late 19th to early 20th century before pin tumbler entrance door locks became common. See thumbnail of typical mortise lock case attached.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpringerTwoKeyMortiseLock.jpg  

Hi all,
    I am also interested in P, Q, R, H, and other Corbin series, but mostly curiosity only at this point, while S series I have a vested interest in. I would like to compile as much information as I can on these keying series and publish it so that others in our position can make keys for their locks instead of giving up and replacing them with modern locksets.
    Here is a thumbnail image of the P & F Corbin "P" Series bits taken from a c.1937 locksmith supplies catalog. As you can see the 12 variations are accomplished by changing the positions of the side and end ward cuts, while the lever cut remains the same. Thus these locks are easily passed by a "skeleton" key.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P&FCorbinP1-P12bitKeys2.jpg  

Thread Information