Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Hi. I'm Dutch John, and new here.

Like you guessed already, I live in the Netherlands.
    I collect locks (Chubb Battleship etc) since I was a kid, and on the internet I also watched pictures of safes I liked.
    About a year ago I fell in love with an old Lips L-100, which I bought for 100€.
    After that I bought a rusty Bergh (A Dutch safe manufacturer) safe, which I restored (Used my fantasy. Was gray, now is black. Handle broke of. Replaced it with hand wheel. Needs some striping etc. Made lock cover by hand...)
    Unfortunately the nicer safes are extremely rare in Europe.
    I have to like them, like you like a woman.

Next on my wish list is a double door bank safe, with (how you name it in English) a Lafette the call it in Germany. 4 tons heavy.
    But I need to save some money to buy it, and to hire a truck with a crane on it also.
    Came here because I need help to identify a safe.
    Further info in another thread...

Welcome aboard Dutch John, you sound like you're seriously into your safes if you're considering a double door 4 tonner from a bank!

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Welcome aboard Dutch John, you sound like you're seriously into your safes if you're considering a double door 4 tonner from a bank!
    With good preparation, a good plan how to do it, and the right materials, it can be done.
    I have one, weighing about 1 ton, which I managed to get off my small trailer alone, with only a winch, a heavy crowbar to lift it somewhat, some wooden beams, and steel pipes to roll it on.
    My Mancave is in the garage. I 'only'
    have to pull it in.
    I have one winch which can pull 3 tons.
    I only need the space for it.
    Sometimes a safe like this is for sale in Germany for 1700€.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4$_72.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	8.3 KB 
ID:	18914
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1$_57.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	18911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2$_57.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	18912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3$_72.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	18913

Yeah I'm with you there, I also had to work alone on some of the big ones, you soon find out what can be done with just half a dozen heavy rollers, a large crowbar, and a pile of hardwood blocks.

We had a Dorvic Roller pry bar for the big jobs and I never failed to lift anything with that, the only problem was the space needed to lever the thing as it was over 2 metres long.
    Wouldn't have attempted a 4 tonner with it though, not even back in my powerlifting days!

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Yeah I'm with you there, I also had to work alone on some of the big ones, you soon find out what can be done with just half a dozen heavy rollers, a large crowbar, and a pile of hardwood blocks.

We had a Dorvic Roller pry bar for the big jobs and I never failed to lift anything with that, the only problem was the space needed to lever the thing as it was over 2 metres long.
    Wouldn't have attempted a 4 tonner with it though, not even back in my powerlifting days!
    When I can't do it alone, I need to hire some help to do it.
    It's enough when you're able to lift it 5mm at a time, then put some plywood under it.
    Only need to lift one side. And I weigh 130 kg, so...
    Some pulleys and rope would be handy.
    It multiplies your power 7 times when you use 3 wheel pulleys.

When I don't have all this stuff, and have the space also, I wait with that safe.

Welcome Dutch John, I have moved a double door 3 ton plus safe myself, stuff like toe jacks make life a lot easier, whenever I use long bars to lift I then struggle to get anything under the safe whilst it is up, I look like I am trying to do yoga. Like that safe you have pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    Welcome Dutch John, I have moved a double door 3 ton plus safe myself, stuff like toe jacks make life a lot easier, whenever I use long bars to lift I then struggle to get anything under the safe whilst it is up, I look like I am trying to do yoga. Like that safe you have pictured.
    I don't have it planned this year, or even next year.
    First I have to make a fixture, to make the winch on.
    I also have to make a new floor (part of rebuilding my Mancave/garage/bedroom. I like to be around my stuff and tools), so underneath I will make an anchor point with a cable to pull the safe in.
    It will probably be a little overkill.
    I can leave it outside. Nobody will steal it. Done that once.
    Toe jacks are a good idea.
    I have a mini hydraulic jack (can only lift an inch), but can lift 5 tons.
    It's so small, I can put it in my pocket, and you won't see it.
    Don't like to buy expensive stuff, because probably I only use it only once.
    Try to hire it when I need it.

The last 5 ton toe jack I bought I got from ebay for 30 pounds, so they can be got quite cheaply if you are in no rush for one and wait for a cheap one to come to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    The last 5 ton toe jack I bought I got from ebay for 30 pounds, so they can be got quite cheaply if you are in no rush for one and wait for a cheap one to come to you.
    A toe jack is an excellent idea. Better than a big crow bar.
    It will be next on my list.

Thread Information