Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Chubb Rim Lock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chubb Rim Lock

Hi all. Just purchased 2 chubby padlocks and 1 chubb, door mortise lock ,which I believe to be of the night security lock type...I will post pics when the locks arrive and am feeling really excited ..I'm especially interested in the mortise lock because I believe it could be the detector type...will post some pics when the locks arrive,and I daresay will need some technical assistance.I am a newbie in the world of locks but Mr Chubb and sons have captured my imagination.I look forward to further communications

Default Followup.mortise chubb night lock?

Posting a pic of chubb night security lock?serial number1156805
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0545.jpg  

Hello Tarzan and welcome, it looks a nice lock- you can't go wrong with a Chubb! Have you any clearer pictures as that one is very fuzzy, it's a rim lock presume it's a dead lock with a deadbolt and not a latch, but it's difficult to tell from that picture. Has it got the 128 Queen Vic address on it?

Default Followup.mortise chubb night lock?

Hi there Huw.yes it does say 128 Victoria St.the pic is not the best because it is off of eBay site.had trouble saving pic on phone so used camera etc.it will be despatched tomorrow so hopefully next week will arrive at my place next week ..unfortunately no key is supplied.can a key be cut go suit his lock?PS.when the lock arrives will take clearer pics and post

When getting the key made its best to hunt around for an 'old school' or mature locksmith who's familiar and experienced working with such locks, ring them up first and sound them out on the phone.
    They look much better with a key made from a period Antique blank that's inkeeping with the lock. Even an old non plated vintage key blank will look better than a modern plated one.

BTW I've moved this from Miscellaneous Questions over to Patent & Propriety Locks under the title Chubb Rim Lock for now.

Default Great.cheers.

Great stuff Huw.I will definitely follow through in that direction when the lock arrives next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Posting a pic of chubb night security lock?serial number1156805
    Hi all.just received the beautiful Chubb latch rim lock in the post today.the back plate is stamped Chubb 3 1/2 IN L London 1885. The serial number on the bolt is 1156805. The lock is functional and in good working order but it has gathered grime over the years and needs a clean..also no key at this stage. ..Using warm soapy water should be OK? Love to here comments on the cleaning and lubrication process of these old locks..also I'm planning on using the lock on a door ,(possibly my bedroom door) .the paint is ordinary and I'm thinking of using paint stripper ? Don't want to lose the integrity of the lock so any comments on the rejuvenation process would be appreciated.will include pics for your reference and I hope that the lock gives you as much delight as it is giving me...cheers Peter.....PS the lock is s 5 lever type..

Default Pics

Chubb latch rim lock 1885
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0584.jpg   IMAG0583.jpg   IMAG0587.jpg   IMAG0588.jpg   IMAG0589.jpg  

IMAG0590.jpg   IMAG0591.jpg  

Default Serviced and painted

Happy with the result.mechanism works smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0596.jpg   IMAG0598.jpg   IMAG0600.jpg  

Nice job Tarzan it looks great, hope that Jane is suitably impressed ;)

Regards the lubrication for it, if you ask ten people you'll probably get ten different answers, and it's probably best left until you have a working key for it, which I'm sure means oldlock will sort it out for you then anyway.

If it was mine I'd probably only give it a few strategic puffs of powdered graphite, as it'll work miracles once it's worked in with the action of the key and knob. If there's any sign of resistance of the latch once fitted during use, then perhaps consider a few thin smears of white grease on critical friction points only, but even that's best avoided if it isn't needed.

It's going to look mighty impressive on whatever door you decide to fit it to, you will need to consider a strike plate/receiver for the frame if you haven't got the original.

Thread Information