Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chubb Rim Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Posting a pic of chubb night security lock?serial number1156805
    Hi all.just received the beautiful Chubb latch rim lock in the post today.the back plate is stamped Chubb 3 1/2 IN L London 1885. The serial number on the bolt is 1156805. The lock is functional and in good working order but it has gathered grime over the years and needs a clean..also no key at this stage. ..Using warm soapy water should be OK? Love to here comments on the cleaning and lubrication process of these old locks..also I'm planning on using the lock on a door ,(possibly my bedroom door) .the paint is ordinary and I'm thinking of using paint stripper ? Don't want to lose the integrity of the lock so any comments on the rejuvenation process would be appreciated.will include pics for your reference and I hope that the lock gives you as much delight as it is giving me...cheers Peter.....PS the lock is s 5 lever type..

Default Pics

Chubb latch rim lock 1885
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0584.jpg   IMAG0583.jpg   IMAG0587.jpg   IMAG0588.jpg   IMAG0589.jpg  

IMAG0590.jpg   IMAG0591.jpg  

Default Serviced and painted

Happy with the result.mechanism works smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0596.jpg   IMAG0598.jpg   IMAG0600.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Nice job Tarzan it looks great, hope that Jane is suitably impressed ;)

Regards the lubrication for it, if you ask ten people you'll probably get ten different answers, and it's probably best left until you have a working key for it, which I'm sure means oldlock will sort it out for you then anyway.

If it was mine I'd probably only give it a few strategic puffs of powdered graphite, as it'll work miracles once it's worked in with the action of the key and knob. If there's any sign of resistance of the latch once fitted during use, then perhaps consider a few thin smears of white grease on critical friction points only, but even that's best avoided if it isn't needed.

It's going to look mighty impressive on whatever door you decide to fit it to, you will need to consider a strike plate/receiver for the frame if you haven't got the original.

Default Strike plate.

Unfortunately don't have the strike plate Huw.I'm currently looking for a suitable period correct option.I am well aware that trying to find an original item will be difficult to source so a period correct Victorian era strike plate might be a viable option...PS thanks for the lubrication info .used a product called Dry Glide ..from CRC.the container did specify locks.seems to have worked ok.cheers Peter

As a cut rimlatch a strike can be fabricated to match it well.

Bear in mind it's not painted, it's black japanned and getting a colour match can be problematic as the black has a reddish tone to it.

Thread Information