Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chubb Rim Lock

Default Chubb Rim Lock

Hi all. Just purchased 2 chubby padlocks and 1 chubb, door mortise lock ,which I believe to be of the night security lock type...I will post pics when the locks arrive and am feeling really excited ..I'm especially interested in the mortise lock because I believe it could be the detector type...will post some pics when the locks arrive,and I daresay will need some technical assistance.I am a newbie in the world of locks but Mr Chubb and sons have captured my imagination.I look forward to further communications

Default Followup.mortise chubb night lock?

Posting a pic of chubb night security lock?serial number1156805
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0545.jpg  

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Hello Tarzan and welcome, it looks a nice lock- you can't go wrong with a Chubb! Have you any clearer pictures as that one is very fuzzy, it's a rim lock presume it's a dead lock with a deadbolt and not a latch, but it's difficult to tell from that picture. Has it got the 128 Queen Vic address on it?

Default Followup.mortise chubb night lock?

Hi there Huw.yes it does say 128 Victoria St.the pic is not the best because it is off of eBay site.had trouble saving pic on phone so used camera etc.it will be despatched tomorrow so hopefully next week will arrive at my place next week ..unfortunately no key is supplied.can a key be cut go suit his lock?PS.when the lock arrives will take clearer pics and post

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

When getting the key made its best to hunt around for an 'old school' or mature locksmith who's familiar and experienced working with such locks, ring them up first and sound them out on the phone.
    They look much better with a key made from a period Antique blank that's inkeeping with the lock. Even an old non plated vintage key blank will look better than a modern plated one.

BTW I've moved this from Miscellaneous Questions over to Patent & Propriety Locks under the title Chubb Rim Lock for now.

Default Great.cheers.

Great stuff Huw.I will definitely follow through in that direction when the lock arrives next week.

I can do that (and any other antique lock) justice.

Whereabouts are you Tarzan ?

Default Reply

Country SA. Place called Renmark...I think it would be a good idea to get expert guidance .where are u based?

I know Renmark (I used to live in Adelaide).

I'm currently in WA. Off the top of my head I'd struggle to suggest anyone in SA that could fabricate a key for such a lock without using a ghastly modern blank.

I could do it but I am going to be away until early next year and then will be moving house so could not do anything till around March.

Default Reply

I'm not in a big rush old lock. PS have just purchased a brass Chubb rimlock as well which will also require a key..my email address is. tarzan21972@gmail.com feel free to contact me and we can exchange phone numbers if u like..

Thread Information