Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chubb Patent Padlock

Hi all.just received this beautiful Chubb patent padlock.serial number 1135152 which I believe dates it to the 1880s....it is in good working condition but not the original key...it's a thing of beauty ..measurements are height 99 mm width 65 mm depth is 32 mm (body is 25 mm without the eschuteon.my scales only measure at 500 grams and the padlock reaches that limit so it weighs more than 500 grams...I am genuinely rapt with the condition of the item and can't wait to receive it's bigger brother..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0561.jpg   IMAG0565.jpg   IMAG0559.jpg   IMAG0560.jpg  

Very nice Chubb Tarzan, I've moved this over to to the Padlocks Forum.

Thanks Huw.. I'm still trying to work my way around :)

No worries Tarzan, welcome to your new Chubb addiction, there is no known cure

Default Smiles

I have also just purchased what was advertised as an all brass 19th century prison lock...captured my attention because I noticed the faded Chubb emblem which I think is made out of copper...I can just make out that it says queen Victoria St etc.apparently it measures 13 cm by 13 cm and weighs 1.5 kg.. the number on the stopper ,is hard to read but as far as I can tell reads 1187007....again it's missing the key and the knob? or handle...will post pics when it arrives ,suffice to say , ,,, I'm really excited to learn more about it...I will post some crude pics for now ,cos computers and I don't get along that well lol.

Default Pics

Pics. Brass prison or safe lock?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0569.jpg   IMAG0570.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Pics. Brass prison or safe lock?
    Nothing to do with a Prison IMO. Brass cased rim deadlock, single sided action usually for a storeroom or similar.

Default Reply

Great stuff .thanks for your expert advice Huw.looking forward to polishing some brass when it arrives...I'm building a house at the moment so the locks will be adding a welcome enhancement to the premises...cheers

Default Bigger brother

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Hi all.just received this beautiful Chubb patent padlock.serial number 1135152 which I believe dates it to the 1880s....it is in good working condition but not the original key...it's a thing of beauty ..measurements are height 99 mm width 65 mm depth is 32 mm (body is 25 mm without the eschuteon.my scales only measure at 500 grams and the padlock reaches that limit so it weighs more than 500 grams...I am genuinely rapt with the condition of the item and can't wait to receive it's bigger brother..
    Heads up.just received this Bad Boy.weighs in at 1350grams.measures 9cm at its widest and 13cm at it longest. 35mm depth (missing escutcheon). Key is not original.dates to early 1900s I believe.also inscribed with Makers To His Majesty....Queen Victoria passed and King assumed the Throne.Chubb's Patent lock..Missing escutcheon but still a beautiful padlock..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0605.jpg   IMAG0606.jpg   IMAG0608.jpg   IMAG0609.jpg  

Default Serial number

Serial number1534832

Thread Information