Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1.35 kilos of Chubb, that's a lump, very impressive. It's worth getting oldlock to cut a nice period key from a shorter blank as that one looks like they used a safe blank, it's way too long.

Default Long key.

It seems that an original key is hard to come by on old locks,and is the icing on the cake if you happen to be lucky enough to have one on any old lock .

Default Detector ..Hard life

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Pics. Brass prison or safe lock?
    Just a follow up on a previous post..received a chubbs detector brass latch lock today.unfortunately the lock has had an abusive Hard life and unfortunately the detector mechanism seems to be missing..the serial number is not clear but the best I can make it reads 17?7?07. This dates it to the 1920s or 1930s. The bolt reads Chubbs Detector.with the chubbs London trademark...there is also an arrow ,which could mean military issue?there are 5 levers .on the lever furthest from the bolt there is a threaded luv of sorts which could be a broken screw head.it seems that there is possibly a missing lever..looks like an educational piece.my question is ,what should the mechanism look like ..what parts am I missing..my plans are to clean the mechanism and wandering if there is any chance if finding any of the missing mechanism pieces...unfortunately this detector has had a hard life.will add pics

Pics.hard life detector
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0621.jpg   IMAG0620.jpg   IMAG0626.jpg   IMAG0627.jpg   IMAG0623.jpg  

Default Thx

Thx to oldlock for his valued information and knowledge.The lock is missing too many pieces to go down the restoration road... while it isn't viable to restore the lock as a working detector,I believe it may be possible to convert the lock into a deadbolt setup...

Default Followup

Had a few days to evaluate the arrival of a Chubb lock .referring to a post on July 7 namely, " Chubb 6 Lever Detector Lock.All Brass ". My new arrival seems to have a similar style detector mechanism ...also the serial number is 1737207 which I believe dates it to the 1910s not as I originally thought 1920s or 1930s... I have noticed what looks like false gates on the lever to help in preventing picking of the lock.also the levers gates have a taper so as to enable easier locking function.the unit is a solely key activated rim lock of the detector deadbolt variety.even though the lock has had a hard life ,I believe a key can be cut to suit and the Chubbs lock will become functional once more..will post pics..lock measures 127mm+102+25 excluding flange mounting .thx

Default Brass deadbolt detector

Brass Chubbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0643.jpg   IMAG0640.jpg   IMAG0638.jpg  

Similar locks were popular for secure stores on ships (e.g. Britain had a large merchant fleet pre-WW2). Bonded stores, mail, etc. needed secure locks. Combination locks were also tried, but proved unreliable because of the ships' continuous vibration.

The manifoils I have seen on ministry safes on warships seemed to have done ok, but can understand the possibility of some locks vibrating open.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stephenson View Post
    The manifoils I have seen on ministry safes on warships seemed to have done ok.
    The Manifoil lock was designed with awareness of the unreliability of the basic Sargent design on ships.

Thread Information