Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Schwab Safe (new Guy)

Hello everybody. New guy on this site so forgive me if Im not up to speed. I have a question about a safe that was offered to me If I can remove it from where it is. It is a Schwab safe dimensions are 30" deep 48" wide 70" tall double doors. It is open and I have the combination. It is in the basement of a building. It would need to go up 5 steps. The access is limited. I measured it and the only way out is on its side due to limited headroom. My question to you is:

Approx how much does this weigh?
    Can the doors be removed easily?
    will the caster rollers come off?
    What is the best technique to lay it on its side?

Thank you for any help with this.

Billy

Hello Billy, try and upload a few photos as it will help confirm whether yes or no to questions 2 and 3, and will also aid for a more accurate weight for question 1.

https://www.antique-locks.com/showth...-to-your-posts

Havent been able to get pictures on this site yet. I have a few on my phone. Will try again.

Thanks

Check for a UL rating label as that has a bearing on figuring the weight. I think I have a Schwab catalog from the 1980's. It sounds like you are not experienced in moving things like this. Are you hiring someone that is experienced?

Welcome to the forum.

I am totally unfamiliar with Schwab, so can be of no assistance. Can any of the other frequent posters say whether the doors would lift off this unit? If they do, their removal would certainly make the move easier.

As it is in a basement, are there overhead beams from which you could rig a block and tackle?

The ul listing on is says Class B. Not having any luck getting pics here yet. Headroom is limited. It will have to be tipped on its side in the stair well. No room to get it there on its side. Im about to back out of this. I asked a local moving company after looking at it they said they couldnt do it. I will try and get pics on here again tonight.

I think it best that professionals move it or forget it. I have done this many times and it is good way to get hurt if you don't do everything right.

The fact that guys who know what they are doing wouldn't take the job speaks volumes!

I agree. Its a beauty but Im going to pass on it. It is the perfect one I need but too confined of a space to work with getting it out. Will find another. Thanks for everything!

If the doors will lift off, and if you can get a winch organised perhaps you could do it.

I wish I were closer. I would help you!

Keep in touch.

Thread Information