Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Model A steering wheel lock

Have recently been asked to make a key for the pictured Model A steering wheel lock. It's a Sargent 4-pin lock which takes an Ilco 1010B blank, which I have. It looks like it will be a PITA to put the springs and top pins in once the plug is removed. They will have to be put in 1 at a time until all 4 sets are in. The front of the plug is stamped G182. Anybody who has done a similar lock, please advise.
    https://imgur.com/a/4AVxH

Haven't done one but that's screaming out to be impressioned tbh bitbuster, it's only 4-pin and you've got the blanks, You'll have a key in an hour or so without the pita disassembly and leaving everything intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Haven't done one but that's screaming out to be impressioned tbh bitbuster, it's only 4-pin and you've got the blanks, You'll have a key in an hour or so without the pita disassembly and leaving everything intact.
    Yes, I know it can be impressioned but I want to go a different route. Thought someone may have removed plug and generated a key that way.

Quote Originally Posted by bitbuster View Post
    Yes, I know it can be impressioned but I want to go a different route. Thought someone may have removed plug and generated a key that way.
    Not found in old Reed General Code Book, I agree with Huw that it should be fairly easy to impression.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Not found in old Reed General Code Book, I agree with Huw that it should be fairly easy to impression.

Pete Schifferli
    Here are the depths and spaces, pre-cut a blank to all #0 depths on your code machine to aid in seeing the impression marks:
    Depths: 0=.173, 1=.286, 3=.261, 4=.248, 5=.236, 6=.223, 7=.221, 8=.198, 9=.186
    Spaces: 1=.216, 2=.372, 3=.528, 4=.684
    HPC Card: X45
    DSD#: 334

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Here are the depths and spaces, pre-cut a blank to all #0 depths on your code machine to aid in seeing the impression marks:
    Depths: 0=.173, 1=.286, 3=.261, 4=.248, 5=.236, 6=.223, 7=.221, 8=.198, 9=.186
    Spaces: 1=.216, 2=.372, 3=.528, 4=.684
    HPC Card: X45
    DSD#: 334

Pete Schifferli
    If you don't have to disassemble the lock, it saves the risk of what you might find out once it is in bits.
    If it is working and easily impressions, that is both the easiest and best way.
    if you can't do that yourself and refuse to pay someone else, then you will have to do it a riskier way.

It could be four pins but sometime there a five pins to hold the plug inside the lock. Also as looking the picture the hole for the pins only if you can turn the lock until you see the pins inside the lock and the pin may come out. Like the American Padlock cylinder. Note keep this in mind that the bottom pins may pop up in the plug. Not sure but there may be screw or pin on the side to hold the cylinder. If can turn cylinder both way to find it. Per picture... Timothy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kvq31rt.jpg  

Bitbuster
    The one picture you said black dot for set screw that goes into the cylinder. Have you try to take that set screw out. That could be what holding the cylinder in. If the screw does come out went it unlock to pull he cylinder out be careful that it may have spring load inside pop out.....Timothy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Bitbuster
    The one picture you said black dot for set screw that goes into the cylinder. Have you try to take that set screw out. That could be what holding the cylinder in. If the screw does come out went it unlock to pull he cylinder out be careful that it may have spring load inside pop out.....Timothy.....
    I know I can impression a key for this. I choose not to go that route. My question is/was has anyone pulled the plug on one, generate a key, and then put everything back. My concern is getting the top pins and springs back in.
    https://imgur.com/a/K7qVp

There are some lock just about the one you have. I use what they call Shim if you can get it inside of the cylinder than pull out and be sure hold on to the shim. If not have to take it out slow one by one so the spring will not pop out. To put back in use the shim on top of the hole where the spring are and slowing push the cylinder back in. Hoping this would help out and maybe someone else may help. Not sure as I know you have information from another forum which not a member of them. Maybe they can explain better of what I said. I do know Jeffmoss26 member other forum maybe can help out more......Timothy....

Thread Information