Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Very old Yale chest lock

Hi all, been lurking in the past but this is my very first post.I recently bought a late 1860s / early '70s cabinetmakers toolbox that is in good shape other than the fact that at some point in it’s life somebody forcibly opened it. It appears that they started by attacking the lock with a hammer and screwdriver. The lock appears mostly complete though is bent and distorted by the attack. It is an early cast brass Yale, 4-1/4” x 1-3/4” - stampings on it show two patent dates and "L Yale Jr" as well as the number 520 on the back.

I'd love to keep the lock original on this chest, rather than replacing with a newer item, but the original lock is too beat up and bent to be reused as is. I am wondering if it is vaguely possible that anybody here might have another of these locks that they might be willing to part with?

Otherwise, can you guys point me to somebody who might be able to repair this one?

Failing that, anybody have a lock, or know of another lock with this odd size and offset key location?

Many many thanks in advance for any help you can give
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7572_3_preview.jpg   IMG_7573_3_preview.jpg   IMG_7574_1_3_preview.jpg   IMG_7575_1_3_preview.jpg   IMG_7576_1_3_preview.jpg  

IMG_7577_1_3_preview.jpg   IMG_7578_1_3_preview.jpg   IMG_7579_1_3_preview.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Hi all, been lurking in the past but this is my very first post.I recently bought a late 1860s / early '70s cabinetmakers toolbox that is in good shape other than the fact that at some point in it’s life somebody forcibly opened it. It appears that they started by attacking the lock with a hammer and screwdriver. The lock appears mostly complete though is bent and distorted by the attack. It is an early cast brass Yale, 4-1/4” x 1-3/4” - stampings on it show two patent dates and "L Yale Jr" as well as the number 520 on the back.

I'd love to keep the lock original on this chest, rather than replacing with a newer item, but the original lock is too beat up and bent to be reused as is. I am wondering if it is vaguely possible that anybody here might have another of these locks that they might be willing to part with?

Otherwise, can you guys point me to somebody who might be able to repair this one?

Failing that, anybody have a lock, or know of another lock with this odd size and offset key location?

Many many thanks in advance for any help you can give
    I'm guessing that 520 may be the lock number. My Yale Catalog No. 26 (c) 1929 shows a very similar No. 521 which has No. 8 keys (.51" dia. plug) but I'd bet that No. 520 had No. 10-1/2 keys (.40" dia. plug) which looks like what yours had until somebody destroyed it, but I have no documentation to prove it. See thumbnail image attached.

In any event you need a "half mortise chest lock" and the only thing extant would be with a "barrel key" like the S-7 at the link. It's the largest I could find and still smaller than your original.
    http://www.vintagehardware.com/prodd...SABEgIYD_D_BwE

Maybe you could find somebody who would tackle repairing the existing lock? Nathan Bonstein who is a member here comes to mind.

Pete Schifferli

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale521chestLock.jpg  

Thanks Pete, yes that does look very similar to mine but a newer design. My biggest fear on a rebuild is that it would end up costing more than the tool chest is worth, but I would love to explore that option before deciding what to do

Worst case i will find an old, but not this old replacement and do my best joinery to carefully close up the space left by this behemoth. But for now I am hoping somebody out there somewhere can come to my aid

yale 120 ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale120.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	19398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale 520.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	19399 Pete could this be a 120 ?catalog 10 page 31

Quote Originally Posted by nathanbonstein View Post
    yale 120 ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale120.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	19398Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yale 520.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	19399 Pete could this be a 120 ?catalog 10 page 31
    Sure enough, appears that 520 is it, Cat. No. 10 was published in 1884 and that lock apparently was discontinued some time previous to when the 1929 version was printed! Yale corrugated pin tumbler keys were replaced by paracentric by 1904.

Pete

thank you,Pete i have a friend in nevada i will see tomorrow evening that has a lot of century old things,might be a long shot ,i will ask about the 520

no luck
    found some .130 yale pins ?

Thread Information