Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Philips and Son Safe

Hello All,

I have this old safe which has 'Philips and Son' 'Manchester' 'Thistle Safe'.

I am intrested in knowing more about it. If you have any info it would be much appreciated. I have searched the forum and seen two articles with similar safes.

I have also seen many 'Philips and Son Birmingham' safes, is this the same manufacturer as 'Philips and Son Manchester'?

Wondering the rough date of manufacture?

Looking at the safe the heaviest part is the door which is around 8mm thick steel plate. The main body of the safe is relativley light, seems to be made from an inner and outer skin of thin gauge steel.

I imagine that between the two skins is a fire resistant material?

If so would this be gypsum, perlite or asbestos or something else?

Would this have been a low end safe when new? As the steel work seems a bit thin.

Thank you

Kind Regards,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171030_093819.jpg   IMG_20171030_093855.jpg  

Hello and welcome, here goes, I'll come back to your first question at the end.

Rough date of manufacture probably 1890s upto around WW1, assuming the body is four corner bent, which it looks to be.

Yes, the body skins on most were extremely thin- often no thicker than 1/16 of an inch.

The fire resistant material was commonly sand, sawdust and alum crystals, although some lesser makes ended up with anything including the sweepings of the factory floor! Some used plaster of Paris.

Yes, sorry to say it was an average joe at the bottom end of the market.

Regarding the Phillips & Son being the same as the Birmingham maker, my initial thought was probably not, but then saw the decal on your safe has "manufactured for" at the top of the crest, but the name below it looks to have been erased.
    Perhaps it was made by Phillips & Son of B'ham, and the Manchester refers to the company for whom it was made? I'm sure someone will know either way, hope this helps.

Default Phillips & Son.

The only information I can add to Huw's comprehensive reply is to attach a picture of the List 1 from a similar period but with a slightly different body construction which is horizontally bent with capping top and bottom. It was also made as a List 2 with a banded body which suggests it being slightly more resistant to ripping by hand tools and may have a ¼" thick body plate.

Phillips was one of about 40 safemakers in the Midlands during the latter part of the 1800's. By the time the war ended there were only 5 who survived including Phillips who, in 1957 were taken over by Samuel Withers and who in turn were bought by the Stratford Safe Company in 1965.

There was a post 22/02/09 #1 on a Phillips Safe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phillips List1 (3).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	18791 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1938 Phillips.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	396.8 KB 
ID:	18792

Thank you Huw and safeman!

PM sent.

Thread Information