Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Brass padlock---------gordios

Hello folks. I recently obtained this lock and I would appreciate any information that you may be able to provide.
    Thank you very much,
    Saijinte
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails r.jpg   rr.jpg   rrr.jpg   rrrr.jpg  

WOW! Never seen those kind of padlock.....Timothy.....

Default Brass Padlock ....Gordios

Don't know to much of what the word Gordios was I think it is Spanish word. It could be from Spain. OR just the name of person. I just found out that someone buy it from eBay for $2002.00. That lot of money for that padlock and lucky to have it. Don't think going to find very many of that padlock....Timothy.....

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

I think it's more likely Greek Timothy, possibly a Greek variation of the English name George.

Either way it seems a pretty unusual padlock, although the final price did make me fall out the chair, more so knowing that it was bid without seemingly knowing exactly what it is.

Always amazes me the endless variations on those padlock mechanisms, there's always another around the next corner!

HUW
    Right about that. Question was why use word name Gordis. I was trying to find person or company name have not come up with anything so far. But I don't think it made in Greek. So who know maybe someone can come up with answer. I think that padlock could be made anywhere in mid-1850 to 1900...Timothy......

Ah, apologies Timothy, I was referring to the name Gordios probably being Greek for George, and not suggesting the actual padlock being made in Greece.

Like you said it's an unusual name to use. Not sure about the Spanish bit though, I thought the other word déposé was French for deposit, like sometimes seen in bank vaults.

I bet it's an oddball from somewhere in continental Europe, but as to where, haven't got a clue. It wouldn't surprise me even if it was from one of the Eastern European countries tbh.

This is perhaps a long shot, and probably doesn't help to narrow down the origins of this interesting padlock, but I have a different suggestion for the use of the name Gordios.

Huw is right that Gordios is a name of Greek descent, however looking at the logo behind the name on the lock, which strongly resembles a knot, I can't help but wonder if this is a reference to the Gordian Knot.

In the legend, the Gordian Knot is used to secure something in the manner of a knot, and is composed of "several knots all so tightly entangled that it was impossible to see how they were fastened".

I am wary of posting an image here due to potential copyright violations, but an image search for Gordian Knot throws up images of knots and symbolic representations very similar and in some cases identical to the logo on the padlock.

...Mark

Apologies for the double post.

Further reading reveals that "Gordian" was indeed often spelled "Gordion" in the past, and a google image search searching for the keywords Gordion/Gordian and padlock reveals other padlocks bearing a similar logo. Not the same logo, not the same maker, but it goes to show this imagery and the theme of the Gordian Knot legend has been tied to locks before.

...Mark

Nice one Mercury you're onto something there, the logo did strike me as vaguely familiar, but as usual the lights are on here but nobody's home, so it didn't click.

After your posts I was going cross-eyed with searches and all the similar variants like Gordiun, Gordion etc, so I went back to a quick search for the Greek for knot, which apparently is κόμπος.
    Then, simply an image search for "Kόμπος Gordios", and hey presto, you also get the Gordian knot images, so there definitely seems to be a strong link in there, well done.

Nice job Mercury
    I also check into it too. I found this as maybe will help some of us to understand it. They have good information about Gordian Knot.
    < http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2011/0...n-of-the-lock/ >

Now question is who made the Padlock.....Timothy.......

Thread Information