Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Arthur Shaw Rim Lock help with parts

Hi
    I recently purchased the above Rim lock and have renovated it, I have since made a key for it - very simple which is a good intro for me. There is a part missing that I believe holds the dead bolt in the in/out position and I assume a spring to help tension this item (based on other rim locks I have). So the question is does any one have a picture of the inside of this lock so I can see what the items look like, I am happy to make the items if only I knew what they look like. Does any one know how old this lock is ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arthur Shaw1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	18743Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arthur Shaw2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	18744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arthur Shaw3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	18745

Safes Strongrooms & Vaults

Hello ColinM, I haven't got one exactly the same unfortunetely but found one that I thought'd be very similar, it's almost identical on the outside but totally different inside in that the spring for the lever is a shared type with also seats the latch and follower.

As you will know from your Legge rim lock post with the Manx logo, you need to make the missing lever and spring.

It pivots on the dowel/drill-pin on the right, the one the bolt slides over, and needs the simple slot (gating) cut internally to clear the bolt stump (on the left) when lifted by the arc motion of the key. The lateral dimension of the slot is simply governed by the distance of travel of the stump when locked and unlocked.

The Spring on those typically goes one of two ways:
    They either curved up in an arc so it rests against the top inner wall of the case, bit like a 'U' shape on its side, which is probably the most likely on your lock.

Or, they projected straight out to the right and had a 'wave' shaped bend to rest over the top of the dowel on the far right, the one that the latch Spring us fitted on.
    This is unlikely on yours though, as I can see there is a hole which is presumably for one of the cover screws, right in line with it which would foul the spring in that position.

Yours is most likely the first which arcs up to rest against the inside of the case.

Hope this helps, BTW coincidentally the only other rimlock I could find looks the same as your ornate one with the Manx logo posted in the other thread!

Default Arthur Shaw Rim Lock help with parts

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    Hello ColinM, I haven't got one exactly the same unfortunetely but found one that I thought'd be very similar, it's almost identical on the outside but totally different inside in that the spring for the lever is a shared type with also seats the latch and follower.

As you will know from your Legge rim lock post with the Manx logo, you need to make the missing lever and spring.

It pivots on the dowel/drill-pin on the right, the one the bolt slides over, and needs the simple slot (gating) cut internally to clear the bolt stump (on the left) when lifted by the arc motion of the key. The lateral dimension of the slot is simply governed by the distance of travel of the stump when locked and unlocked.

The Spring on those typically goes one of two ways:
    They either curved up in an arc so it rests against the top inner wall of the case, bit like a 'U' shape on its side, which is probably the most likely on your lock.

Or, they projected straight out to the right and had a 'wave' shaped bend to rest over the top of the dowel on the far right, the one that the latch Spring us fitted on.
    This is unlikely on yours though, as I can see there is a hole which is presumably for one of the cover screws, right in line with it which would foul the spring in that position.

Yours is most likely the first which arcs up to rest against the inside of the case.

Hope this helps, BTW coincidentally the only other rimlock I could find looks the same as your ornate one with the Manx logo posted in the other thread!
    Hi Huw
    Thank you for taking time to answer my question, I will digest everything you have said and start experimenting, I have already made a cardboard test lever for another rim lock based on other ones I have, next step is to make one out of metal then source some spring steel or similar to aid its operation.

The other rimlock you posted under the Legge with Isle of Man logo title, has a double throw bolt, ie. The key turns twice to throw the bolt out in two stages from the unlocked position.

This Arthur Shawe is the more common single throw action, so when making the new lever, it only needs two 'pockets' total, one on either side of the narrow 'gate' slot, as opposed to the three visible on the other double throw lock.

It can all be worked out from the travel of the bolt and the action of the key, you need to choose material the right thickness for the lever to start with though, so that it's a good sliding fit between the locking bolt and the cover, you don't want to be adding shims or spacers afterwards because the lever is too thin.

Hi Huw

Thank you for your help, do you know how old either of these locks are ?

Quote Originally Posted by Huw Eastwood View Post
    The other rimlock you posted under the Legge with Isle of Man logo title, has a double throw bolt, ie. The key turns twice to throw the bolt out in two stages from the unlocked position.

This Arthur Shawe is the more common single throw action, so when making the new lever, it only needs two 'pockets' total, one on either side of the narrow 'gate' slot, as opposed to the three visible on the other double throw lock.

It can all be worked out from the travel of the bolt and the action of the key, you need to choose material the right thickness for the lever to start with though, so that it's a good sliding fit between the locking bolt and the cover, you don't want to be adding shims or spacers afterwards because the lever is too thin.

I would think the Shaw is probably Victorian 1890s~early1900 Colin, but I don't have any reference material, no old catalogues or dated adverts or anything, and would imagine there'd be varied overlaps with the trends in construction and styles etc.

Thread Information